Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought the Laney Ironheart studio pre/power amp.
without any plan, I visited the local Ibanez dealer which also laney dealer.
there was the ironheart studio sitting there, and I asked the staff to let me try it.
I used the RG 570 re-issue ( genesis) during the trial and laney cabinet 2x12 close back cabinet with laney speakers.
it's 3 channel, clean, rhythm and lead.
I found that the rhythm and lead channel have the same character, only less or more gain, that's all. Of course I did not tweak the eq during the test, just put them on 12 o'clock.
the most important thing from an amp for me is the level and character of distortion.
clean is not really important to me, so let's not talk about it.
on the lead channel, with pre boost set at 12 o'clock, and lead gain at 12 also, the level of distortion is suitable for me, but still not labeled as high gain monster.
the lead is really kick in, when the pre-boost and lead gain set at 2 o'clock.
If I remember correctly, I had the same level of distortion with my marshall JVM410 with gain set only at 12 o'clock. So I think JVM 410 is still winning on lead gain.

the reverb is not really kick in, I dunno, maybe I just not tweak it yet.
but overall, with the laney cabinet, I begin to like it a little...
something is still missing though, at this moment I'm still not sure.

So, there was a VOX cabinet with 1x12 celestion G12 speaker.
I switched the cabinet.... and the result was... awesome.
now the tone is really coming.
still same guitar, same preset, but the tone is so much better. I could not describe how much better, I'm not good at words, but it just blow me away.
I even switch the amp to 1 watt model, and still awesome.

the only downside with the vox cabinet is, less bottom end.
but I can easily fix it with dialing up the bass on the eq.
other than that, it just OK.

So I remember the folks here saying nice things about celestion V-30.
I plan to match it with it. If g12 is good already, it should be much much better with V30, right?

So I bought it, and just ordered through different store randall 1x12 celestion V30 cabinet.

oh yeah, regarding the RG570 re-issue, have nothing to say but it just feel like home.
if I spent another 10 minutes with it, I would probably end up buying it instead of the amp.... trust me.... it happened before.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one question guys :
this ironheart does not have standby switch like any other tube amp does.
So I just switch off the power everytime I'm done with it.
Is it safe for a long run?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Thanks to Faeklidare, i'm planning to get an Ironheart Studio with a Carvin 1x12 with V30 option added on. He has kinda got me figured out on the tone I like so I can trust him to give me the best advice :)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
having this amp for 1month+, I can say 'm quit happy with it.
I only use the lead channel tho.
tempted to buy zoom MS70CDR pedal for chorus and delay,to be used with send-return of the amp, but I'm afraid it will coloring the tone ( even I switch off the pedal).
I like the warmth of this amp without having any pedal in chain.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
having this amp for 1month+, I can say 'm quit happy with it.
I only use the lead channel tho.
tempted to buy zoom MS70CDR pedal for chorus and delay,to be used with send-return of the amp, but I'm afraid it will coloring the tone ( even I switch off the pedal).
I like the warmth of this amp without having any pedal in chain.
Did it come with the footswitch and the software for recording when you bought it?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
footswitch yes.
software for recording..? I'm not sure. I did not check all the things coming with this stuff.
I don't even use the footswitch yet.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just curious, does the 12AX7 pre amp tubes illuminate when in used?
The 12AX7 pre amp tubes in this amp are covered by somekind of aluminum, I can't see it clearly.
So I can't tell is it illuminate or not?

for the power amp tubes, I'm sure it's illuminate.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've got the IRT60H with 212 IRT Cab. Can't wait for my WGS Veteran 30 speakers to arrive so that i can make the swap. From our testing with the IRT series, with different speakers, it still goes best with V30s. Haven't tried with WGS but it should have the same results.The stock speakers from Laney are just bleh..

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've got the Laney IRT Studio on the way. Should get it today. I'm planning to use it with my Boss GT-100 on four cable method. I've never seen the IRT Studio in flesh but I bought it (can return it if ain't happy).

I've been REALLY pleased with the four cable method with my Randall 100W solid state so if I'm getting a tone that's as good, then I'm happy.

The soundclips on youtube sound really cool. Then just add all the boost and FX's from the GT-100 which are really good IMO.

Can't wait =)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well, I've had the IRT Studio now for one day. Haven't had much time to play with it, but I've tried the headphones, with my DIY 1x15" cab and with the Boss GT-100 on four-cable-method.

The amp seems to be loud. I've only used the 1W input and the volume at 2/10 was quite loud already. The clean channel's really good and you do get a lot of gain on the lead channel. The boost feature's nice but I prefer getting the boost from the GT-100.

Still gotta try recording with and without the internal cab sim when I get an XLR cable. I don't care much about the USB/reamping thingy. Nice add, though.

Quite fast I found the nice tones. Just played a riff on GT-100's looper and then started dialing. Reduced the gain a bit, added some boost from the GT-100 and tweaked with the EQ. Easy and simple =)

Gotta find a nice 2x12" to try as well.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my (so far) fav setting for the lead channel with:
2 o'clock boost, 2 o'clock gain.
bass 3 o'clock ( pull knob )
mid 10 o'clock
treble 1 o'clock
dynamic 12 o'clock
tone : 2 o'clock
reverb : 2 o'clock

running it straight, 15w output it sounds awesome with vol at 9 o'clock

add : ( if it matters : guitar cable from canare GS-6 with neutrix plug, speaker cable by evidence audio)

same setting with 1 watt when my kids are around...

·
Registered
850 Posts
do you guys find 'dynamic' control all about?
because I just don't find what it does.
With my few minutes of experience I say it adds tightness. At least it got tighter and boomier with my 15" :D

I really like having something played in a looper and then let it play and focus on tweaking. Then you can easily hear what each knob does.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts