Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so I got this beast a while ago from another jemsite member a few weeks ago... it originally looked like this:

Long story short... it's a mutt that's pieced from a 7620 neck on a 1527 body in Cosmic Blue - a 7627 :p

Then i asked to take out the bridge pup as I was going to replace it but fortunately the seller decided to keep both pups white PAF7's while coincidentally Dimarzio added the new Petrucci pups on their page...
and thanks for Petie's quick review and video, I scored these pups right off the 'bay and ordered a bunch of parts to go with this overhaul: stud-mod, locking posts, 7620 5-way switch and a few screws.
a day of installing, wiring the parts together and tuning it to B standard, it looks like this for the meantime :)

As for the pups, i'd say both are definitely Dimarzio's best pups around... would discuss more but that deserves a thread on its own...
Otherwise, the axe is very solid... i mean, how can ya go wrong with a Wizard7 neck with the stability of stud-modded Edge Pro :)

Reg

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Hey! Glad you like the pickups! I installed mine with the bar towards the neck like JP does. I'd be interested to know how it sounds the way you've got it. Every day I'm more and more blown away by how good these pickups are!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Where did you get a set Petie, I spoke to my good mate who runs a guitar store, and he couldn't even order one in from Dimarzio Australia not for another 4 weeks...

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
I installed mine with the bar towards the neck like JP does. I'd be interested to know how it sounds the way you've got it. Every day I'm more and more blown away by how good these pickups are!
I saw somebody in Petrucci forum saying that towards the bridge it sounds really treble and annoying.

But you know nobody have the same ears.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I actually liked the sound of the D-Sonic with the bar towards the bridge. My buddy put one in his S-7420 and tried the D-Sonic both ways, recording it as well....Came to the conclusion that there was very little noticeable difference.(at least on his guitar).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey! Glad you like the pickups! I installed mine with the bar towards the neck like JP does. I'd be interested to know how it sounds the way you've got it. Every day I'm more and more blown away by how good these pickups are!
So far, it sounds like a beefier and crunchier Evo7 but not as "screamy" with the bar towards the bridge. It also reminds of me of a tamer D-Activator X where its EQ and "attitude" was implemented in a D-sonic format. I still need to replace the tone pot as it's kinda wacked so its disconnected for the meantime. It's not necessarily "trebly" but a lot of presence, much more than my D-Activator7's in my UVGR!
Also, I installed both pups "backwards" [lead wire exits towards the neck] so in position 4, i get the outer/black coils active....
I'll post some clips once i fine tweak it and take new pix of the axe with neon green knobs and tip :p

Reg

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Last night I got to spend about 15 minutes chatting one-on-one with Mr John Petrucci himself about these pickups. The interview will be on my site some time tomorrow. It was really cool to get his perspective on it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
very tight and "deep" sounding!
CL7 through my line6 spider III 15w, it sounds like the axe has a built-in "Recto" mode in the Metal setting. Through a Triaxis + 2:90, it pretty much nails DT's Black Clouds Silver Lining tones, with an "edge" :p
The LF7 is like a Paf Pro with less "aww" to the tone... almost single coil-ish at times.

here's a link of me playing "randomly" with the CL7:

Reg

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
hahaha !

Reg, this little thread resurrection made me seeing once more your clip
and also reading some comments behind :

let's talk about the inverse of the Universe, do that make a Reverse ? an Antiverse ?
a Umirror ? a BigBang ? a lefty UV ? lots of silly ideas ! but made me laugh even I understood what
you told about ! :)*

er... the lefty UV is NOT a silly idea !

The Fireman exists, so ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts