Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this Ibanez RG a few months ago from UNKLPUNK here. Was waiting to get the pickguard changed into the black 3-ply before I did any NGD. Here are some pics I took earlier and after the swap...

This guitar is somewhat of a dream guitar as white is my favourite color along with orange and I absolutely love maple boards. Love the ghost inlays. It sorts of has a nostalgic feel to the shark tooth inlays, and I guess it's sweet gesture to RG lovers who grew up playing the shark tooth in their teens. In my case it was the catalogues, of owning a guitar with these sharp inlays. I have no complains about them. Otherwise, the guitar is great, just like most MIJ Ibanezs I've played, even though I'm not very experienced with too many.

As I was changing the pots, I managed to mess up the tone knob. It fits back into the slot, but the knob just keeps turning, not rotation the actual screw/pin. I don't exactly know what went wrong as the knob looks fine. Did I break the knob?

Have an awesome weekend! Looking forward to some post-NAMM NGDs!

:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Happy NGD! Sweet axe, I love simple white or black with maple boards, gives it a classic vibe!

So that's a 3550mz (2009-2011), and the orange is a 3250mz? Very similar axe's from the same person! Reminds me of the second 3120 I just got off the same guy, should post an NGD for it!

I'm curious, since they both have same specs other than cosmetics, do they sound very identical to each other, or different?

Not many people get 2 of the same / very identical models, but this reminds me of my 3120s, if you love it why not! Could always have one in a different tuning.

Edit: I'm definitely a fan of the black pick guard on white body versus the stock mirror one. Nice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve!

Yes, these are similar in every aspect. How do they sound and feel? Exactly the same. And that's what I wanted. I really like the neck, the pickups, the weight.

I have them strung with Daddario 10-46s E-standard, adjusted the heights of the pickups the same way, they sound and feel identical.

It would be hard to tell the difference if I played them with my eyes closed. One give away is that the white guitar has bound maple fretboard, whereas the orange one doesn't have any binding. So whenever I play the white one, I feel the edge of the binding, but on the orange one the neck edge is a bit rounder.

This is all for the love of RGs, and not necessarily variety. But since we are talking about variety, with an H-S-H pickup combo, there isn't really much that can't be done to begin with hah.

But, I'm looking towards getting a RGD2127 as my first seven to add to my small collection later this year.

What are your thoughts on 7s?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Great guitar !!! I have two similar prestige models - 2550zgk and a 2570mz - and they are really great guitars! You should get many years of great enjoyment from that guitar! I love white guitars too =) Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dorian, that 2570 is a beautiful guitar. Why don't you put share some pics here! Take some nice shots! Would love to see that guitar.

I had the RG2550e GK. The guitar was in very poor condition when I bought it. The guy had it for 10 years and never changed the strings. The frets were dirty. Fretboard was full of gunk.

But I cleaned it up with steel wool, shimmed the neck, installed locking studs, and it was a fantastic guitar. Very resonant.

The only issue I had with that was the weight. It weighed a lot for a RG. I guess the wood used was denser/heavier.

Ended up selling it to someone who was apparently a bodybuilder. He was very happy with it! :)

Put up those pics, ... please!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks Steve!

Yes, these are similar in every aspect. How do they sound and feel? Exactly the same. And that's what I wanted. I really like the neck, the pickups, the weight.

I have them strung with Daddario 10-46s E-standard, adjusted the heights of the pickups the same way, they sound and feel identical.

It would be hard to tell the difference if I played them with my eyes closed. One give away is that the white guitar has bound maple fretboard, whereas the orange one doesn't have any binding. So whenever I play the white one, I feel the edge of the binding, but on the orange one the neck edge is a bit rounder.

This is all for the love of RGs, and not necessarily variety. But since we are talking about variety, with an H-S-H pickup combo, there isn't really much that can't be done to begin with hah.

But, I'm looking towards getting a RGD2127 as my first seven to add to my small collection later this year.

What are your thoughts on 7s?
I've never really had the desire get a 7 string tbh. I've been wanting to try an RGD Prestige 6-string for a long time now, but no luck. Curious as to how the longer scale feels/sounds. Would probably make it harder for me to play stuff towards the headstock end now that I think of it. I've heard good things though.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
That white RG2550 in the original post is amazing, as is its orange cousin. Very nice!
I'm not sure about the spinning pot but Ibanez had a bad batch of pots in the mid 00's. My RG1570 and 20th RG550 both froze on the volume knob. Probably not the same issue.
And Dorian, that RG2570.... Very nice!!! I love that color too. I'm not sure if that made it to the US with a maple board. Looks great!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve, I want to practice 3 notes per string on the extended 26.5" scale. I guess after a few months of that, 25.5" scaled 6 strings should feel easy? hmm...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome pics, Dorian. That is one cool RG with the maple fretboard. I don't know how you found that guitar. That finish actually looks good close up. Only Ibanez does these cool finishes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike570, I was wondering where you were. I wanted you to see this white RG3550 with the black pickguard. I know you have the white RG3250 with upgraded pickups. I was trying to make mine have that color combo. The black heatstock ruins these guitars. Even some of the newer Prestige models on the Japanese site has black headstock. it's kinda annoying. Does Jackson do the same? As in, make the headstock with idential aesthetics so that they can stock up for the various runs?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The black headstock ruins these guitars.
think so? I love white guitars and I think your 3550 looks great! That is a really great looking guitar, in my opinion, and I think the black headstock looks cool with the black pickguard and black zebra pickups. I wouldn't change anything if I were you...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Mike570, I was wondering where you were. I wanted you to see this white RG3550 with the black pickguard. I know you have the white RG3250 with upgraded pickups. I was trying to make mine have that color combo. The black heatstock ruins these guitars. Even some of the newer Prestige models on the Japanese site has black headstock. it's kinda annoying. Does Jackson do the same? As in, make the headstock with idential aesthetics so that they can stock up for the various runs?
Different Mike.
The closest I have is a 20th RG550 in roadflare red.
Actually if there's one RG I'd want now it would be this - an RG2570. I think it's Japan only though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Different Mike.
Actually if there's one RG I'd want now it would be this - an RG2570. I think it's Japan only though.

Yes, that is indeed a different Mike. Sorry about that.

But that RG2570 is a beautiful guitar. Reminds me of Paul Gilbert's white PGM. In fact Paul Gilbert is why I love this white/maple combo to begin with.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Different Mike.

That is very nice! That pure white theme is pretty sweet... but I think the OP's 3550 is just as nice - just different but still very nice with the black accents on the guard, headstock and pups =)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts