Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played an S520? (black one, black emg-looking pickups) and I really liked the ZR. I am surprised these aren't more popular; it's pretty cool.

Anyone here have any long term ZR trem experience?

Ibanez could stand to make more of these, MIJ preferably. *cough*S7420 w/ ZR *cough* :D

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I liked the ZR a lot too after playing an S470 in a store for a bit, but, like you, I have no long-term experience with those. If I was to buy a new Ibanez these days, it would either be the S470 (because of the trem), the SZ320, or an AR300.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well, it looks like ill have to set you fellas straight.
I Bought the S470QMDX about 3 or 4 months ago and after a lot of love and excessive whammy use, the arm started to wobble. i researched heaps mainly on this forum but eventually when i took it to a repairer, it turned out to be the nut that sits just below the arm holder. so when it starts to wobble, you simple slacken the strings slightly, raise the crap out of the bridge (somewhere in there taking the springs off, cant remember) and tighten it with a standard wrench. apart from this small design flaw, i love this trem. It stays in tune really well, even with lots of divebombing and raising of pitch, also it is very smooth and a pleasure to use. I think it kills the sustain a little though, although it might also be due to the sheer thin size of the sabre. well thats all from me.
Peace out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm loving my ZR so far after about 4 months. Smooth action and very stable. I haven't had a problem with sustain, sure it's no les paul but it lasts as long as I can ever see myself needing it to last.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Polaris20 said:
I played an S520? (black one, black emg-looking pickups) and I really liked the ZR. I am surprised these aren't more popular; it's pretty cool.

Anyone here have any long term ZR trem experience?

Ibanez could stand to make more of these, MIJ preferably. *cough*S7420 w/ ZR *cough* :D
looks like you played the S520 alright, the EMG-like pickups are actually passive, covered INF humbuckers, which sounded more pleasant than the uncovered version IMO.

although i am an S-series fan & that the ZR vibrato bridge is stellar, it adds on weight to the guitar. if you ever come across the Lo-Pro/ Edge equipped S-models, you'd feel the difference in weight. some people find the weight issue acceptable but it's not what the S-series is all about...

too late, Ibanez has moved the S-series to the Korean factory, even the Prestige models.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had my S470DXQM CN for about a month or so now, and I couldn't be happier. The ZR trem is a godsend, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I really like the bodyshape, it's comfortable. And the weight is very pleasant IMO. I haven't tried the Lo-Pro and the Edge equipped ones, so I can't compare the weight difference.

I still get excited when i see the QM top on my guitar... Gotta love those quilted maple tops!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts