Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about lawyers?

My wife had a lawyer for some legal stuff over the past couple years... and just found out a couple weeks ago that one of the people on the attorney fees paperwork she was given isn't licensed in Nevada to practice law. What are the implications of this?

They've got billing for a bunch of things that I know for a fact are complete BS. She's already contacted the BAR or whatever, and tomorrow we're heading down to file a complaint and a fee dispute. She's paid over $4,000 for work done by other members of her lawyer's office that she never authorized. It was supposed to be just one lawyer and assistant handling her case, and she was told that from the beginning. Now they've got these two other heroes on the statements which more than doubles the charges. WTF?

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Call the State Licensing Board for Lawyers. See government agencies in the phone book. Ultimately you'll need to submit the complaint & info in WRITING. Send a well-written, polite letter explaining your concerns and outlining the complaint along with photocopies of the invoices in question.

That will guarantee them an appearance/hearing in front of the state licensing board.

Typically these professionals work around unlicensed people by billing thru a licensed atty. They could upcharge work a paralegal did, students, clerks, etc. You should have asked for itemized listings of work invoiced along the way (not at the end). Good luck... glen

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're going to the board tomorrow to file a formal complaint... as for the itemized lists during the whole mess my wife went through, she had received bills, and none of them had these other two people on it until about two weeks ago.

They even tried charging her for something AFTER the whole case was settled... and once she raised the BS flag they were kind enough to waive that fee. She had been working directly with the lawyer and one of the lawyer's assistants, and that was supposed to be the only two people handling the case according the documentation she has.

I think we'll actually get this one taken care of. It's just aggravating.

At least we've still got our sanity. Sort of : )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts