Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate sharp pick attack, so I've been looking at dark, smooth pickups, but I always find the neck to be too fat in comparison to the bridge. I always assumed bright pickups would be very sharp sounding, but from what I've read the paf joe actually has a very subdued, dull pick attack. Is this the case?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wouldnt call it "subdued" personally. "Dark and smooth" usually corroborate with "muddy" to a lot of players; and in that regard, I'd be remiss to not have you look at the "Liquifire" pickup instead.

Other options, one would be the rainmaker; this pickup has a really interesting "mic'd acoustic" type quality. Definitely doesnt have a "sharp" pick attack; but it doesnt really split well either. The air classic is similar to the PAF JOE; and has a bit more subdued sound. The liquifire is going to be the most "creamy" I guess, not my style at all personally, but definitely may be something youre going for. Like what kind of tones are you chasing after specifically? Do you have a specific example you could show perhaps?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldnt call it "subdued" personally. "Dark and smooth" usually corroborate with "muddy" to a lot of players; and in that regard, I'd be remiss to not have you look at the "Liquifire" pickup instead.

Other options, one would be the rainmaker; this pickup has a really interesting "mic'd acoustic" type quality. Definitely doesnt have a "sharp" pick attack; but it doesnt really split well either. The air classic is similar to the PAF JOE; and has a bit more subdued sound. The liquifire is going to be the most "creamy" I guess, not my style at all personally, but definitely may be something youre going for. Like what kind of tones are you chasing after specifically? Do you have a specific example you could show perhaps?
I don't really have a specific example to refer to, but I currently have a Breed bridge, and the Paf 36th (bridge model) in the neck. I had the Breed neck previously, but found that it overpowered the bridge. I think its because it's a 22 fret guitar, and the Breeds were designed for 24 frets.

The Paf 36th is nice but it has sharp pick attack, and could be slightly brighter. What interests me about the Paf Joe is the description of it being "tubular." I've used the air norton in an RG before, but I fear it may be too much for a 22 fret guitar, and the Liquifire is in the vein of the Air Norton ain't it?

I guess what I'm asking is, is the Paf Joe bright, and sorta singlecoil-y without harsh pick attack?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, I experimented by exchanging the screw polepieces on the 36th with the hex ones on the breed. I really like the 36th this way. Pick attack is still there, but it's seems more focused, not as sharp. But now I'm not really liking how the breed balances with the 36th. I may try a tone zone in the bridge.

·
Registered
437 Posts
haha i LOVE breeds actually....

buttttttt.... tone zone in bridge is going to absolutely CRUSH a paf 36th lol. And no, liquifires are just reallllly super ... Im sorry I dont have a better word... MUDDY. Like not unusable (obviously), itd be "in the same vein" of an air norton if you rolled your tone knob all the way down lol. I actually hate em, but it really kinda sounds like what youre looking for. Ironically, I love tone zones lol. Basically what people want in a neck, I want in a bridge and vice versa lol. Air nortons arent especially high output though; very "clear" neck pickup and pretty appealing for most people; thats honestly why they are so popular.

PAF joe isnt "single coily" at all haha, very much in the realm of your standard "PAF" pickups. Its absolutely none of my business, and power to him, I love Satch, always will... but my god hes coming out with "new pickups" every week it feels; and they really are just mild alterations of the pickups hes already using lol. Fred and PAF Pro; the others are variants of those; completely. Maybe a bit hotter, bit of EQ'ing, but you could honestly dial in a paf pro and fred set to basically match all of his "other" pickups. Im not a fan really. Vai's pickups are just radically different variants. People that think Breeds are "dialed back" evo's are sorely missing out!

All that said, liquifire will balance well with breed bridge. Breed should still be overpowering the 36th a bit honestly; but if youre content... thats cool.

Im currently beating my head into a wall deciding what pickups I want in my Rg550 30th; so Im kinda right there with you lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha i LOVE breeds actually....

buttttttt.... tone zone in bridge is going to absolutely CRUSH a paf 36th lol. And no, liquifires are just reallllly super ... Im sorry I dont have a better word... MUDDY. Like not unusable (obviously), itd be "in the same vein" of an air norton if you rolled your tone knob all the way down lol. I actually hate em, but it really kinda sounds like what youre looking for. Ironically, I love tone zones lol. Basically what people want in a neck, I want in a bridge and vice versa lol. Air nortons arent especially high output though; very "clear" neck pickup and pretty appealing for most people; thats honestly why they are so popular.

PAF joe isnt "single coily" at all haha, very much in the realm of your standard "PAF" pickups. Its absolutely none of my business, and power to him, I love Satch, always will... but my god hes coming out with "new pickups" every week it feels; and they really are just mild alterations of the pickups hes already using lol. Fred and PAF Pro; the others are variants of those; completely. Maybe a bit hotter, bit of EQ'ing, but you could honestly dial in a paf pro and fred set to basically match all of his "other" pickups. Im not a fan really. Vai's pickups are just radically different variants. People that think Breeds are "dialed back" evo's are sorely missing out!

All that said, liquifire will balance well with breed bridge. Breed should still be overpowering the 36th a bit honestly; but if youre content... thats cool.

Im currently beating my head into a wall deciding what pickups I want in my Rg550 30th; so Im kinda right there with you lol.
Yea, what really sucks is that the pickups are direct mounted on my strat, so I have to ream out the height adjustment holes, and that means I can't exchange the pickups through dimarzio.

For now I'm content with the paf 36th bridge in the neck with the hex screws. It seems to focus the sound more so the notes don't just die down after the initial pick attack. I just bought a tone zone and that'll be going into the bridge. Still keeping the breed set in the parts bin for future endeavors.

I agree with you btw. Had the tone zone/true velvet/air norton combo in 2 different guitars, loved them. I could see the AN being too muddy for a 22 fret guitar though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I meannnnn if youre not gonna useeee the breeeeddddd.... just have it sitttting arounddd..... MAYBBBBEEE someone might want it? :)

Half joking; if you dont want it and have a reasonable price; hit me up if youd like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meannnnn if youre not gonna useeee the breeeeddddd.... just have it sitttting arounddd..... MAYBBBBEEE someone might want it? :)

Half joking; if you dont want it and have a reasonable price; hit me up if youd like.
Lol, maybe in the future, but you should know they can only be direct mounted, no pickguard or pickup ring.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Lol, maybe in the future, but you should know they can only be direct mounted, no pickguard or pickup ring.
I just realized THATS what you meant in your previous post lol. No no dude thats literally not an issue at all haha

plus this

thats all you need dude, youre good to go there

·
Registered
437 Posts
Oh yeah slight chance its the other way around so I'll cover that too ->

Im guessing it could also be the screw used to mount IN the body is "larger" than the diameter of the mounting hole for the pickups; ergo damages thread. Also not a big deal at all either though.

pull the old pups out; take literally a tooth pick, dab it in super glue and use it to plug the old hole. dont "cram" it in, fill it a bit but leave yourself a bit of wiggle room so the new screw will guide in ok.

These wont damage the mounting threads of the pickups in the future, and they have a fairly wide head and wont ever "press through" the hole either. (i.e. if you use a screw that has too small of a head, when you screw it in, you run the risk of just torquing it through the hole; totally defeating the point of all of this lol). Good part of this is these are ALLEN screws; you wont strip them if youre swapping pickups around.
10mm length is actually a pretty good size too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts