Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anybody here have any firsthand info on the Leather Cliplock straps Dimarzio makes now? I have an older cliplock but have always liked leather straps more than the seatbelt material ones and am really thinking of buying one of these. I haven't been able to find much on the net other than the same description Dimarzio has on their website, and I haven't found a pic of one of these yet either. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm very interested in that as well (although a suede strap would be even sweeter). I'm currently using the standard clip-lock strap and I love that I don't have to worry about the strap coming off...EVER...but even with a pad to keep the thing from cutting into my skin, the strap is just too thin and likes to twist around at times.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I use cliplocks on nearly all my guitars. So far I only have one leather cliplock, the silver one. I find it more comfortable that the standard straps and would prefer to replace all the others. However, I don't think they are worth three times the price of the standard strap. But, if the leather straps were available in more colours than black or silver, i.e. pink, green........I would probably use only the leather ones.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I either need some for my Les Paul, or larger pins.

The pins on my G&L and jem are pretty big so I've never had a problem with either of those.... the biggest problem is getting a new strap on!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bought one of the seatbelt material Planet Wave straps today. Looked ok in the store, and it does hold the pins really well, but the locking mechanisms are bulky and stick out like a sore thumb at a somewhat weird angle. Methinks next time, I'll try one of the DiMarzio leather ones myself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered one of these from sam ash, I'll try to remember to come back here and post a pic and some comments when it gets in to let any future buyers know more info.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Powerslave214 said:
I bought one of the seatbelt material Planet Wave straps today. Looked ok in the store, and it does hold the pins really well, but the locking mechanisms are bulky and stick out like a sore thumb at a somewhat weird angle. Methinks next time, I'll try one of the DiMarzio leather ones myself.
I've got one of those Planet Waves locking straps on my 7-string. The ends done stick out too much for me because it's got a really odd shaped body and the strap pin is on the back of the upper horn instead of the end. (Schecter Revenger-7)

The only problem I had with it was the little bumps on the rubber back sticking to the guitar and not letting it move naturally, as well as leaving scuff marks. To solve that, I made a couple little felt circles that I put between the strap and guitar. Problem solved :D

And it looked really stupid on my Strat, which is why I use my cheap Fender strap that came with it when I bought it. Works great, even if it falls off sometimes (but rarely).

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Two hands31 said:
Works great, even if it falls off sometimes (but rarely).
Have you tried using the rubber seals from Grolsch beer bottle lids (or similar)? - best cheap straplocks in the world.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Two hands31 said:
Works great, even if it falls off sometimes (but rarely).
Sorry man, but if it falls off sometimes then it doesn't work great. Atleast with the Dimarzio cliplock strap I have no worries of it coming off my guitar. Still, I would like to see a picture of the leather one just to see if it's worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
LOL. Yes dude they do. Theres a couple of auctions on evilbay in the uk selling silver and black leather straps at the moment. There's some pictures on there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got one of the nylon DiMarzio cliplock straps today.....what a huge difference! Much, much, much better (for me) than the Planet Waves cliplock.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Powerslave214 said:
I got one of the nylon DiMarzio cliplock straps today.....what a huge difference! Much, much, much better (for me) than the Planet Waves cliplock.
Heck yeah!! The strap is almost perfect, except that it needs to be thicker. I love the security it gives me with my guitar, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
from personal experience i find the leather ones to be very comfortable (i just bought my second one) and not quite as slippery as the seatbelt ones. And now for good measure a picture of me with a leather dimarzio cliplok strap (atached to a rather nice guitar i might say)

:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
You sure that's not John Petrucci's strap? He likes his guitars to ride high. :D

I liked the DiM cliplock strap so much I think I'll also get a leather one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got my strap in today, took a couple pics of it off the guitar, and a few more after I installed it.

To me it feels alot better than the nylon one I had before and even though it was $34 ($41 after shipping) I feel like it's worth it to have a good, leather straplock system.

Anyway here are some pics for those wondering what they look like:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts