Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've all but ordered an Ibanez SV5470F as a "first guitar". I've already got an Ibanez PUE5 tube version multi-effects pedals. I want a good practice amp to go along with them. I have looked at several different options, but it seems a lot of the cheaper solid state amps don't have an effects loop that will allow me to use my foot pedals. I know the spider valve system may be truely classified as a hybrid (lets not start another flame war about it), but it does have tube amplifiers. And, from the clips I've heard on line, it gives alot of options if I were to leave my PUE5 at home when I travel. At home, I could use my pedals or even add a different pedal system.

So, with the searching I've done, it seems I can pick up one of the Line6 SV112 for $550 for a B stock or about $600 for a new one. I'm looking for a wide variety of sound, but mainly geared towards rock and metal (think 80's rock power ballads to metallica to Van Halen to Satriani). Some of the SS amps I've read about seem promising, but most don't have an effects loop until they get up in price near to this tube amp. I'm only interested in what is available new or reconditioned, so please keep recommendations to current or very recent production. My budget isn't set in stone, but I don't care to spend $1k on an amp. I want something that's going to keep me satisfied for a while. But, I'd love to stay near $500 so I keep my options open for the future when I will be good enough to know what I really want. The amp will be used indoors (maybe rarely outdoors), but I'm not in an apartment.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My friend actually bought a Spidervalve 112 a short while ago. Needless to say he has been massively impressed. If you are going for a Spidervalve be sure to get a floorboard with it- those things are really cool! The Spidervalve has a sort of serial effects loop that I don't think is footswitchable (via preamp out and power amp in), but it does have reasonably good onboard effects in my opinion (not as flexible as they could be but they do sound good!)
As for the sounds you're after, it will have them I'm sure but how good they are remains to be seen. I had a brief go of it once and it seems fine. But you must, as I will say for all equipment, try before you buy ;).
The amp is fairly loud, if you ever got problems though couldn't you just add an attenuator(or for more volume add more speakers)?
Regards
Jonny

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
For a little bit more money you can pick up a Pod XT and an Atomic Reactor amp (my rig). Line 6 is just now catching up on what Tom at Atomic did years ago, and the Valve doesnt do it as well as the Atomic does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm curious as to why you want want an effects loop on a modeling amp...
I guess I would say for convenience of being able to use pedals when I want, but if I travel, I won't have to worry with carrying anything but the guitar and amp. I have read really good things about the PUE5 tube effects, and I at least wanted to leave my options open either way.

For a little bit more money you can pick up a Pod XT and an Atomic Reactor amp (my rig). Line 6 is just now catching up on what Tom at Atomic did years ago, and the Valve doesnt do it as well as the Atomic does.
I hear what you're saying there, but I don't see that these are available new. I worry about getting a 3-5 yr old tube amp. I'm a newbie at this, and I would feel more comfortable getting something new or factory refurbed with a return policy if I don't like it. I've seen this combo posted before, and it is one that I still haven't completely crossed out.

My friend actually bought a Spidervalve 112 a short while ago. Needless to say he has been massively impressed. If you are going for a Spidervalve be sure to get a floorboard with it- those things are really cool! The Spidervalve has a sort of serial effects loop that I don't think is footswitchable (via preamp out and power amp in), but it does have reasonably good onboard effects in my opinion (not as flexible as they could be but they do sound good!)
As for the sounds you're after, it will have them I'm sure but how good they are remains to be seen. I had a brief go of it once and it seems fine. But you must, as I will say for all equipment, try before you buy ;).
The amp is fairly loud, if you ever got problems though couldn't you just add an attenuator(or for more volume add more speakers)?
Regards
Jonny
I don't know that I would add the pedal system for it right away. That would add a good bit of cost, and I'm just a beginner. That's one of the reasons I want the effects loop to be able to use what little I already have. If I like the sound and abilities, I would pretty surely add the optional pedal system for it to get the most I can out of it.

Thanks for the responses guys...Are there any other sugggestions for similar products? What if I'm willing to go with a straight combo amp (if that's the correct term for head and cabinet) with no effects built in and just use my floor pedals? Is there anything in the $500-$600 range for new that would be better than the spider valve?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The reason you dont see it available "new" is because its not sold in stores. it's only available direct from the manufacturer (google their website). When you deal with customer service youre calling the PRESIDENT of the company...so it only makes sense that they dont deal with stores to make that contact direct and between two people. Right now according to the site the 18 watter is available, and the 50 watt 112 and 50 watt 212 are on backorder but will be back shortly im sure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Eeek...Stay away from anything that says Line 6 on it IMHO...If you want a real tube amp that can achieve all of those tones you are seeking, get a Peavey Classic 30 (the newer black model...make sure it has JJ pre-amp tbes instead of the usual Sovtek)...The clean channel is what the Peavey JSX clean channel is based on, so if you picked up a Vox Satchurator, you could easily get Satriani, Van Halen etc tones...The overdrive channel is great, and sounds awesome at high volumes...If you need a boost for solos, a boss SD-1 works great. Also, it has an effects loop for your modulation effects. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Are there any other sugggestions for similar products? What if I'm willing to go with a straight combo amp (if that's the correct term for head and cabinet) with no effects built in and just use my floor pedals? Is there anything in the $500-$600 range for new that would be better than the spider valve?
A new tube amp for rock and metal in the $5-600 range is sort of a tall order - is there any reason you can't go used? I'm a total Mesa fanboi, so take this with a grain of salt :lol:, but in that range with a bit of luck you could probably score a DC-3, F-30, or maybe a Nomad-45.

What's a Peavy XXX or 5150 combo go for these days? That might be worth a look too...

For the Spydervalve, on one hand, anything with a Bogner-designed poweramp can't be too bad, provided they didn't skimp on the components (which considering the price is certainly a possibility). On the other, every single other Spyder-series Line6 I've played has left me sorely let down - over-saturated, grainy/fizzy, and very stiff feeling. Unless they did a total redesign of the models, I'd be a little nervous.

If you don't want tubes, and don't need giggable power (I mean, it'll keep up with a drummer, but only just), have you ever played a Tech-21 Trademark-30? It's only a single channel (but with three seperate preamp modes or "models" that'll cover damned near anything) and 30 watts through a single 10", and is absolutely tiny, but it has a FX loop and is absolutely the best-sounding solid state "practice" amp I've ever played. The thing owns, and will certainly do metal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The reason you dont see it available "new" is because its not sold in stores. it's only available direct from the manufacturer (google their website). When you deal with customer service youre calling the PRESIDENT of the company...so it only makes sense that they dont deal with stores to make that contact direct and between two people. Right now according to the site the 18 watter is available, and the 50 watt 112 and 50 watt 212 are on backorder but will be back shortly im sure.
I took a look at the website. This type of setup does sound tasty. I like the idea of seperating the amp and effects, but keeping it relatively small. Having the custom template amde to set in a Pod effects keeps it all easier to travel with too. I could use my effects pedals I have until I could save up some more for the Pod system. Is the 112-18 enough? Should I go ahead and get the 112-50? Is the 50 going to be too much for apractice amp? Have you added the FBV shortboard or similar to the PODXT? I've noticed you prefer the XT to the X3 also. Would you care to elaboriate why?

·
Registered
20 Posts
JameyF - have you bought anything yet? No one has mentioned it yet, but that SV5470 is a whole lot of guitar for a beginner. If price is an issue, you might consider something cheaper. An Ibanez GAX-70 is a fabulous beginner guitar for $200; best cheap guitar I've ever played.

If you do get the SV5470F (which is a beautiful guitar, btw), make sure it doesn't "hum" when set to the humbucking pickups. It shouldn't, but I just returned one because it did, in every pickup configuration.

Any more input from folks on the Spider Valves? I'm considering one myself, as kind of a perfect practice/jam amp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
JameyF - have you bought anything yet? No one has mentioned it yet, but that SV5470 is a whole lot of guitar for a beginner. If price is an issue, you might consider something cheaper. An Ibanez GAX-70 is a fabulous beginner guitar for $200; best cheap guitar I've ever played.

If you do get the SV5470F (which is a beautiful guitar, btw), make sure it doesn't "hum" when set to the humbucking pickups. It shouldn't, but I just returned one because it did, in every pickup configuration.
Thanks for the warning. Do you think the humming is from the way the guitar was setup, or was it because of a faulty pickup? I know the SV5470F is more than "needed" as a beginner guitar, but I have the funds, WAF (wife approval factor), and the desire to start with something I'm not going to want to replace 6 months from now. If you could say with a straight face that the GAX-70 is a better guitar than the SV5470, I would consider it.

I've seen a couple S540's go on fleabay. I have and am considering going that route, but they are more than I would pay sight unseen on something roughly 2 decades old. If I come accross one within driving distance, or at least something I feel more comfortable with, I may pick one of those up. The more I read about how often people change their strings, the more I feel comfortable going with the non locking tremolo of the SV5470.

BTW, where did you find it in stock? I've got an SV5470F on order, but I can't find one in stock from an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you could say with a straight face that the GAX-70 is a better guitar than the SV5470, I would consider it.
the gax series is strictly beginner level guitars. if you know you are going to stick with it, go for the sv. a nice looking and playing instrument can be inspiring in and of itself.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I took a look at the website. This type of setup does sound tasty. I like the idea of seperating the amp and effects, but keeping it relatively small. Having the custom template amde to set in a Pod effects keeps it all easier to travel with too. I could use my effects pedals I have until I could save up some more for the Pod system. Is the 112-18 enough? Should I go ahead and get the 112-50? Is the 50 going to be too much for apractice amp? Have you added the FBV shortboard or similar to the PODXT? I've noticed you prefer the XT to the X3 also. Would you care to elaboriate why?
Sorry dude didnt see this until just now.

The 18 watter is definitely loud enough for practice and small venues, it is all tube after all. However I would suggest the 50 watt just because it has some added features that are to me quite valuable (see the website). It's definitely not too much because im a bedroom guitarist and I use mine daily :). I havent added the fbv yet but I plan to. I prefer the XT over the X3 simply because I've tried the X3 and just didnt like the feel of it. The XT is perfect for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry dude didnt see this until just now.

The 18 watter is definitely loud enough for practice and small venues, it is all tube after all. However I would suggest the 50 watt just because it has some added features that are to me quite valuable (see the website). It's definitely not too much because im a bedroom guitarist and I use mine daily :). I havent added the fbv yet but I plan to. I prefer the XT over the X3 simply because I've tried the X3 and just didnt like the feel of it. The XT is perfect for me.
Thanks again for the response. I think the 18 watter would be enough for how I'd use it for at least several months, but the features seem too be worth the extra $100 to me too. I just hate to wait...it's killin' me. The other side of the story is I had to email the guy at Atomic amps twice to get a few questions answered. I decided on the 112-50 and want to get on the waiting list for one, but after 3 more emails spread over a couple weeks, I haven't received a response.

It's making me reconsider the Line 6 Spider Valve again just because I can get better service than I'm receiving so far. I missed a couple cheap Atomic 112-50's on fleabay for cheap. I wish I could have gotten one of those.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Eeek...Stay away from anything that says Line 6 on it IMHO...If you want a real tube amp that can achieve all of those tones you are seeking, get a Peavey Classic 30 (the newer black model...make sure it has JJ pre-amp tbes instead of the usual Sovtek)...The clean channel is what the Peavey JSX clean channel is based on, so if you picked up a Vox Satchurator, you could easily get Satriani, Van Halen etc tones...The overdrive channel is great, and sounds awesome at high volumes...If you need a boost for solos, a boss SD-1 works great. Also, it has an effects loop for your modulation effects. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Good luck!
I absolutely and totally agree!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I assumed that the humming was coming from bad wiring or something, but for the price there is no way I was going to fix it on my dime. Also, as much as I love love LOVED the looks of the guitar, I wasn't in love with the guitar itself.

Which brings up a point - you might want to start with a cheap guitar until you get an idea of what kind of guitar you really like. But no, the GAX-70 is not nearly as nice a guitar, although it's a fabulous guitar for the price, and not a bad guitar at all.

I found the SV at my local Guitar Center, just hanging on the wall.

Congrats on the WAF. I stupidly wasted several years of having a real job and no oversight committee and didn't buy a single electric guitar. Now I've got GAS, but it's subject to WAF. ;)

Thanks for the warning. Do you think the humming is from the way the guitar was setup, or was it because of a faulty pickup? I know the SV5470F is more than "needed" as a beginner guitar, but I have the funds, WAF (wife approval factor), and the desire to start with something I'm not going to want to replace 6 months from now. If you could say with a straight face that the GAX-70 is a better guitar than the SV5470, I would consider it.

I've seen a couple S540's go on fleabay. I have and am considering going that route, but they are more than I would pay sight unseen on something roughly 2 decades old. If I come accross one within driving distance, or at least something I feel more comfortable with, I may pick one of those up. The more I read about how often people change their strings, the more I feel comfortable going with the non locking tremolo of the SV5470.

BTW, where did you find it in stock? I've got an SV5470F on order, but I can't find one in stock from an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I assumed that the humming was coming from bad wiring or something, but for the price there is no way I was going to fix it on my dime. Also, as much as I love love LOVED the looks of the guitar, I wasn't in love with the guitar itself.

Which brings up a point - you might want to start with a cheap guitar until you get an idea of what kind of guitar you really like. But no, the GAX-70 is not nearly as nice a guitar, although it's a fabulous guitar for the price, and not a bad guitar at all.

I found the SV at my local Guitar Center, just hanging on the wall.

Congrats on the WAF. I stupidly wasted several years of having a real job and no oversight committee and didn't buy a single electric guitar. Now I've got GAS, but it's subject to WAF. ;)
I'm lucky that WAF isn't usually much of an issue. I've gone 'round and 'round with what to get, but I've still got the SV5470F on order. The only thing that would make me cancel that would be finding a S540 in good condition. I thought I had found one, but it turned out to be in "well played" condition with lots of wear. I've also considered the S5470 with the double locking tremolo, but I think it would be better for me to not have to worry with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Part of what I liked about the SV was the non-floating trem, since I've never owned a trem before (and once again don't).
As I understand it, both the S and SV 5470 series can be used in dive only or true floating. Each restricts the upward movement of the tremolo a slightly different way that can be removed (in the case of the s5470) or a unscrew (in the case of the SV5470) to allow upward movement.

I just found out today shipments to sdmusic have been pushed back to Sept. 8th. That makes a S540 stay in the picture a while longer if I could find one in really nice condition.

·
Registered
425 Posts
warning on the sv when you switch cahannels the master vol resets on ear blaring 12 till you program presets really made me upset so i sold a 800.00 head and 287 dollar footboard never again by a jsx small amp or a ohhhhh anything but a modeling amp...by the way line 6 has a badd a ss new pedalboard

1 - 20 of 21 Posts