Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've got a slight problem. I have an Ibanez RG470 (I think - I bought it used and there wasn't much info on it) and the intonation is out. Very out. G at the 24th fret is a (very flat) G# out. Other strings, such as the high E, and near perfect. But the low E, is about a quarter tone sharp, and so on. And basically, there just isn't enough movement left in the saddles to correct the problem. Not nearly enough, really.

So, my question is, what exactly can I do? It's got an Edge bridge, and I'm wondering if replacing that would help at all, or if the guitar is, essentially, worthless now. I'd like to, if at all possible, salvage it, simply because the neck on it is absolutely flawless, and other than the intonation problem, it's a great guitar. But it's also pointless to play it when the intonation is that bad... so... Any suggestions? Ideas? I don't mind spending the money to get a new bridge, but I'd rather not waste the ~$150ish if it's not even going to help.

So.. yeah... Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Are you saying the saddles can't move any further due to the design, or they are seizing up? If it's an RG470 with an EDGE it's probably pretty old now and maybe the saddles are seizing due to dirt build up or corrossion or something. Maybe worthwhile pulling the bridge apart and giving it all a good clean and trying again. I'd say if you are still having difficulties you should probably go see a tech and get them to look at it, give it a set up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you've got a real problem there. i remember helping a friend to intonate his guitar but without luck. his guitar was experimented by an inexperienced luthier by placing a buzz feiten mod on the neck. now his guitar is sharp all over the guitar. i think what you can do is move the locking nut a few millimeter towards the headstock. it's a difficult mod, better send it to a luthier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You don't need a new bridge, usually when you have trouble setting intonation, your neck has a bow and needs to be ajusted. You can fix it yourself, just take off the truss rod cover and tighten it up one eigth at a time and keep checking the strings and set the intonation. you'll notice your strings will go sharp some before you set intonation. I have fixed many many guitars like this with the problem you are having. Good luck bro. Let me know if you need more help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.