Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my action lowered and new strings put on and intonated by a local. So looking at the picture, I though on these JEMs, not the top of the trem needed to be level with the body but the black knife edge that shows on the side.

Also, look at the little screws, they are like almost off the edge, I can't see that holding up and can see the screws loosening over time. Or is this pretty common?
String instrument Musical instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
604 Posts
The knife edge should be what is parallel, you are correct.
Does the guitar play in tune across all registers? Typically the saddles have a more distinct pattern, but I have and still own examples that differ from the norm.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I agree with peromucho, the next hole should have been used. Those Allen screws are easy to round off if you're not careful. The Allen key has to be fully seated. And that trem angle needs to be brought forward, it's no where close to level.

·
Vendor
26,747 Posts
It's not only that, the bridge radius is going to be way off with intonation set like that. The trem angle already proved he should be walking dogs instead of charging money to work on guitars. I'd bet $100 if you did a strobe check on the intonation the way Pederson recommends it's not even close.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks or the replies. He builds acoustic guitars, teaches building, teaches at a college, has many instructional videos. Has people all over the country sending old guitars for repairs. I guess I should have went to someone who knows electric guitars.

Both my guitars are at a shop now being both redone and he will have it done in a couple hours.

I will post pics later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So heres his notes. The action is way low, I will need to get used to it. The trem is still not even but he stated if it was level, the action would raise a little. the trem post on the high e is lowered to where it cant go down any more. the saddles were evened out. the pickup heights were adjusted, he cleaned the fret board. basically did full maintenance for 40 and is doing my 94 st40ltd (in almost mint) right now for 40.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The posts have setscrews inside them, they need to be backed out in order to adjust the posts down. Then locked back down. So the trem angle could be corrected, and then the action can be set after that. But since the angle would need to be changed, the intonation would need to be reset. The guy just isn't familiar with an Ibanez edge. So essentially he charged you to set it up incorrectly that may not be what you want to hear but it is factual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The other Ibanez was set the same way by an "authorized" repair shop listed on ibanezs website. Will it being slightly back affect the trem or playing, ?. dont some players like the trem set up this way also?

please feel to reply, id like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update on the 94 s540ltd. the first pic shows it "level" but with the body curved he didnt feel it was perp to the studs. saying its visually misleading. second shows it pulled back a little but he said it it was perp so that is how we left it
sent him the ibanezrules link on the trems and said that helped tremendously. hes working on jem rg now.

any thoughts let me n him know. hes got this thread link. thanks.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The first picture the bridge is level. As for the second photo, If you don't mind your trem bar being that high... That's fine. If you're happy with it that's what matters. However, it isn't level, and you lose some pull up distance. The lo-pro edge is a little deceiving because the way the saddles sit on the baseplate makes them appear to lean fordward. It makes it harder to tell what is level if you are not familiar with the design. In the pic I attached the red is supposed to be level, the teal isn't. You can see the red circled part of the saddle is level, matching the rectangular piece I circled in the post I made prior to this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The first picture the bridge is level. As for the second photo, If you don't mind your trem bar being that high... That's fine. If you're happy with it that's what matters. However, it isn't level, and you lose some pull up distance. The lo-pro edge is a little deceiving because the way the saddles sit on the baseplate makes them appear to lean fordward. It makes it harder to tell what is level if you are not familiar with the design. In the pic I attached the red is supposed to be level, the teal isn't. You can see the red circled part of the saddle is level, matching the rectangular piece I circled in the post I made prior to this one.
he is redoing the black to the first pic. makes sense now. thanks for your help. here is the green done. actually it raised the action slightly and is more pleasant to sweep pick. its level :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
This image may help you see it a little more clearly. The red is your level body's surface, the Blue is the Knife edge, and the Green is the saddle. You can see that this setup was the level one

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.