Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, sold 5 Ibanezes. Couple Prestige, a PGM500, a USRG30 copy (that fun maple I bought a few months ago but didn't warm up to)... and of course, it being me, I bought more than I sold (sell, you damn JCustom, SELL!!!!!!). so yeah, here's what I got.

USA custom - Get Me Out Of Here

RG425 with original Edge (not bad for 250 bucks)

RS530 with Powerrocker bridge

RG580B (also not bad for 400 bucks)

540PHH (what can I say. I love 540P's) (and thank you, gabriel)

RG765 prototype (and thank you, gabriel, once again)

annnnnnnnd the "you'll poke your eye out" XV500 in Dual Blue Burst

Plus, I have the team of Nate Perle (of Perle Guitars) and Rodney Reams (of Liquid FX Airbrushing) making me another 540PII with mahogany body which will be cleared for a natural finish and reverse headstock and ebony board with white sharktooth inlays. I'm gonna put a set of DiMarzio Air Classics in brushed nickel, a chrome Lo Pro Edge and chrome locking nut/tuners/etc. I'll call her the "NatNick" for Natural Skolnick. Should be done by mid-December, hopefully. My Xmas gift to myself.

Last but not least, Rodney is also painting the 540PSH I sent him a lovely seafoam green, since the white faded to a stinky smoker's teeth yellow and had some bumps and bruises on her. I also have a line on another classic 80's Ibanez that hopefully I can procure at some point. It's been a good week. :p

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
hahahah, so you are the one snap the get me out of here from the e-bay ?
i was watching it closely and tempted to drop an offer, but i changed my mind on the last minutes. LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used to have a 765 DY just like it back in the day.
I worked in musical inst retail for 11 years, from '87 up until '98.
We were authorized Ibanez dealers. One day the rep came in and he had a 765 and a few 565's.
I got the 765 with the case for 50 and 30 ( thats a huge discount ), the rest of the guys in the store bought the 565's.
It was my main axe for years until our band got an endorsement deal from Robin guitars here in Houston.
I sold it to some kid who utterly defaced and destroyed it.
When I think of all the cool Ibanez guitars I had back then....I kick myself.

·
Registered
339 Posts
those are wicked axes.. 765 and 540phh. and yes that sofa chair in the background is also wicked!! long live the SOFA CHAIR!!! im think of getting Nate Perle to build me a 765 or a 24 fret skolnick but with Maple fretboard and shark tooth inlays... i'll make it Desert Yellow or flourescent orange!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those are wicked axes.. 765 and 540phh. and yes that sofa chair in the background is also wicked!! long live the SOFA CHAIR!!! im think of getting Nate Perle to build me a 765 or a 24 fret skolnick but with Maple fretboard and shark tooth inlays... i'll make it Desert Yellow or flourescent orange!
Wicked? Are they possessed by demons??? You sold me demon possessed guitars? AAAAAIGHHH! :p

Yes, as we discussed, Nate will make you a wonderful guitar body and neck. It's good to know there's one decent guitar parts guy from the USA amidst the others we speak so fondly of in the vendors subforum. :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Do you find most of these things online? I ask because for being a guitar brand that's extremely out of style, old high-quality Ibanez guitars are completely AWOL from most used shops. When you do find them, it's usually a bargain because they're priced and treated like some Laguna kids guitar, but that's very rare in my neck of the woods. Usually they just don't seem to exist.

San Antonio doesn't have a great used market to begin with, and in the shops on Lamar street in Austin running the racks will be like "Fender, Gibson, Fender, Gibson, Fender, Fender, Fender, Gibson copy, Fender Copy, Fender, Gibson...".

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you find most of these things online? I ask because for being a guitar brand that's extremely out of style, old high-quality Ibanez guitars are completely AWOL from most used shops. When you do find them, it's usually a bargain because they're priced and treated like some Laguna kids guitar, but that's very rare in my neck of the woods. Usually they just don't seem to exist.

San Antonio doesn't have a great used market to begin with, and in the shops on Lamar street in Austin running the racks will be like "Fender, Gibson, Fender, Gibson, Fender, Fender, Fender, Gibson copy, Fender Copy, Fender, Gibson...".
Guitars 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 come from the netherworld depths of hell known as the 'bay. Guitars 5 and 6 come from right here at home at Jemsite from member dgabriel713 whom, once I receive said axes, I will be proud to bestow his first iTrader feedbacks.

I just did up my old SZ520 as well with some DiMarzio Air Classics pups. Looks better than any ol' Les Paul, that's for ding damn sure.

HAHAHA LaGOOOOOOOOOOna. Greg Howe, I laugh at you and your sucky Guitar Center line of guitars!

·
Registered
107 Posts
That locking bridge on the 530 is the Pro Rock'r by the way. My RS400 is pretty similar without the maple top. I adjusted my bridge to float and it actually stays in tune pretty damn well. I like not having the locking nut right where it can cut my hand too.

Awesome guitars dude!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That locking bridge on the 530 is the Pro Rock'r by the way. My RS400 is pretty similar without the maple top. I adjusted my bridge to float and it actually stays in tune pretty damn well. I like not having the locking nut right where it can cut my hand too.

Awesome guitars dude!
Yes, the Pro Rock'r. I KNEW that yet typed powerrocker. It's not a bad little bridge but I can see why they moved onto the Edge. Overall, it's a badass little guitar. Pickups are awesome in it and I wish Ibanez would bring back those EMG type pups in some form or fashion.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
540PHH

Are those called Ballback as well?
Nope, Only the 580B was ballback. Not sure what the rounded back was supposed to achieve. I'll find out when it arrives. 2 guitars arrived (the USA custom which is a f**king MONSTER and the RS530 mentioned in the previous post) and 5 to go.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AWESOME! I saw that 765 on CL a few hours before posted this thread and had major wood for that wood. Congrats on a bunch of sweet axes!
Well, I had pm'd Gabriel about the 540PHH and he mentioned he had the 765 available. Fortune favors the bold and I've done crazier than buy two guitars at once in my lifetime. Now I REALLY have a replacement for my old Hamer Californian because this is the same color, same set up (Single and humbucker) and the cosmetic differences are it's reverse headstock, sharktooth instead of boomerangs (God, I loved the Hamer boomerang inlays back then) and an Edge bridge instead of a Floyd (well, whatever licensed Floyd Hamer was using back then).

I've got the XV500 and the 580B due today (There goes my Saturday of going out in the world) but the RS530 is having a hard time getting put down. It's just a little badass guitar with great sound. Thanks God for the used market because Ibanez would never reissue these.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Well, I had pm'd Gabriel about the 540PHH and he mentioned he had the 765 available. Fortune favors the bold and I've done crazier than buy two guitars at once in my lifetime. Now I REALLY have a replacement for my old Hamer Californian because this is the same color, same set up (Single and humbucker) and the cosmetic differences are it's reverse headstock, sharktooth instead of boomerangs (God, I loved the Hamer boomerang inlays back then) and an Edge bridge instead of a Floyd (well, whatever licensed Floyd Hamer was using back then).

I've got the XV500 and the 580B due today (There goes my Saturday of going out in the world) but the RS530 is having a hard time getting put down. It's just a little badass guitar with great sound. Thanks God for the used market because Ibanez would never reissue these.
1) Buying two guitars in one day doesn't even sound remotely crazy to me....but then again most would say I have a "problem" :)

2) The boomerang inlays were awesome. I had a yellow and black "tiger claw" finished Blitz with the boomerang as one of my first guitars, and traded it for a Jackson RR pro. The finish was too unmetal for my tastes back then. I had no idea what I had, and to this day it's the guitar I kick myself most for getting rid of.

3) I've been looking at getting one of the higher end RS series for a while (I think I was even looking at the one you got) and am very curious about them. There's an RS1300 floating around now that I'm thinking pretty seriously about. Birds eye maple top makes me happy.

4) As for ruining a saturday of going out in the world (and speaking of the 80's): I'm right there with ya. My new Charvel USA So Cal in Ferrari red was waiting on my porch when I got home last night. Spent hours on it last night and woke up at 6:45 raring to play it like a kid on Christmas morning. I think me and this guitar are going to have a serious long term love fest. Holy cow the neck is amazing.

Anyway happy NGD!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1) Buying two guitars in one day doesn't even sound remotely crazy to me....but then again most would say I have a "problem" :)

2) The boomerang inlays were awesome. I had a yellow and black "tiger claw" finished Blitz with the boomerang as one of my first guitars, and traded it for a Jackson RR pro. The finish was too unmetal for my tastes back then. I had no idea what I had, and to this day it's the guitar I kick myself most for getting rid of.

3) I've been looking at getting one of the higher end RS series for a while (I think I was even looking at the one you got) and am very curious about them. There's an RS1300 floating around now that I'm thinking pretty seriously about. Birds eye maple top makes me happy.

4) As for ruining a saturday of going out in the world (and speaking of the 80's): I'm right there with ya. My new Charvel USA So Cal in Ferrari red was waiting on my porch when I got home last night. Spent hours on it last night and woke up at 6:45 raring to play it like a kid on Christmas morning. I think me and this guitar are going to have a serious long term love fest. Holy cow the neck is amazing.

Anyway happy NGD!
1. How about 8 in a week? (needed a new bass so bought a BTB775PB)

2. I felt the same was about the Hamer Californian I got rid of.

3. RS1300 is neck through. yes? Love to snag one of those.

4. The XV500 and 580B both showed today. Both are awesome! So I have RG425 and the 2 guitars from dgabriel713. Haven't gotten a tracking number from the RG425 guy yet either. Think he was sending snail mail as well.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my rg1527 for your USA custom? ;)
But you would have to change your username then! :p

If anything, I consider myself lucky that the first 4 of 7 guitars that have shown were player ready out of the case. I've had a few guitars from the 'bay where they need full setups and various fixes before they are playable (I've had cracked necks, dead pickups, etc.). Worst has been a bridge adjustment for the RS530. I love the f**kin' Pro R'cker bridge! Still waiting on the RG425 and dgabriel713's guitars should be here Thursday. I'm very excited for the RG765 since I love the single/humbucker setup and this one has a rosewood board (I liked the 565 but, as I stated before, just not feelin' maple boards) and my love for 540P's (In the 22 fret original recipe and the 24 fret crispy variety) is well known. As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. I also bought a BTB775PB bass because I wanted a real wood bass along with the Ergodyne luthite one I already have.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts