Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people's this is my latest project. I recently purchased this guitar, Im told it started life as a desert yellow jem, not sure what happened to the original body as the body you see now is from an RG550 someone has put this PBK type handle in it.
I have ordered a square heel front route basswood body from Area 51 customs, this is being made as we speak (or type LOL). I think I will swirl the old body and sell it on Ebay in order to get some money back from the overall cost of the project.
I have ordered my paint and will also be painting the headstock as the colour is not brilliant plus its the worst paint job I have seen in a long time.
I did give it some thought about painting it back to its original desert yellow but decided to go with 'LNG' in the end. I will keep you all posted on my progress and post more pictures.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks great jonny very nice,im not a lover of those style monkey grips but that aside very nice :)
It will be when its done. :) the new correct style body should be ready soon. I will post some pics of the painting process.
I dont like this style of grip either, I never understood why they made the grips like that on the 'PBK' and the 'RB'.
Just sorted out a decal for when I repaint the headstock in the correct colour along with the new body. :)

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I was never a fan of that type of grip either, but on that LNG body it looks great. I just like to see something different once in a while. I can't wait to see the end result, even though it sounds like it will be a more accurate LNG--still the best color ever for a Jem! I still think I may do a purple Jem one day. I can't decide between a "bubblegum" purple like my Space Invaders 550 or a flamed maple stained purple burst--similar to Carvin's Dragonburst, but with a medium blue center darkening to purple at the outside. Anyway--great job, Johnny! What did you end up paying for that monster?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was never a fan of that type of grip either, but on that LNG body it looks great. I just like to see something different once in a while. I can't wait to see the end result, even though it sounds like it will be a more accurate LNG--still the best color ever for a Jem! I still think I may do a purple Jem one day. I can't decide between a "bubblegum" purple like my Space Invaders 550 or a flamed maple stained purple burst--similar to Carvin's Dragonburst, but with a medium blue center darkening to purple at the outside. Anyway--great job, Johnny! What did you end up paying for that monster?
Its gonna look really fresh when the new body is painted and fitted. I have a real hot neon pink for the trem cavity :)
Purple would be a fantastic colour to do a jem you would have to have a maple board to lighten it up a bit, pyramids like the 'PMC' or vine????
since Im keeping this one I can tell you what I paid for it. £475 GBP. Im hoping to swirl the old body and sell it for around £100- £150. When the guitar is complete it should owe me about £500.......ish.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the correct paint for this beast today. The difference between whats on the guitar and whats in the tin is staggering. pics as soon as I have started to paint the new body.... when it arrives :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
That color looks so good, I'm trying to decide what color to paint my homemade jem. It's a toss up between a LNG or a GMC. After seeing the pics of yours, I'm leaning towards a LNG clone as well.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Hey johnny, I can get you contact information to the guy who built Vai's original prototypes.

LNG was actually the color they made them lol. The way they did it was a 2 part process (akin to ferrari's red color). They paint it white, then use a translucent neon green over the white, if you can do that process. Otherwise, it would be hard to get the "real" effect of one of these.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey johnny, I can get you contact information to the guy who built Vai's original prototypes.

LNG was actually the color they made them lol. The way they did it was a 2 part process (akin to ferrari's red color). They paint it white, then use a translucent neon green over the white, if you can do that process. Otherwise, it would be hard to get the "real" effect of one of these.
Interesting stuff, The colour I have at the moment is a neon green that has to be applied over a white base coat (not the colour of the guitar in the picture).
I got a picture of my guitar body the other day via email cant wait to get it and finish this guitar in a more closer colour to the original guitars.
And dude any info you want to pass my way would be gratefully received. ;)

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Interesting stuff, The colour I have at the moment is a neon green that has to be applied over a white base coat (not the colour of the guitar in the picture).
I got a picture of my guitar body the other day via email cant wait to get it and finish this guitar in a more closer colour to the original guitars.
And dude any info you want to pass my way would be gratefully received. ;)
lol sounds like you have everything sorted already ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts