Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im a noob.

I have an RG7620VK, and when I first got it, I took it in to be set up. This was a while ago, and now I want to change tunings. (I want to tune up to beadgbe from adgcfad)

I have read Rich's website tech section, and attempted to follow his instructions, when I found out the locking studs hadn't even been tightened by the tech and the trem angle was way off! The tech obviously hasn't worked on Ibanez edge / lopro edge trems.

The guitar is fairly well mint, I know the guy who bought it brand new, never played it and sold it to me after leaving it in his closet for atleast 5 years, So I want it to be done properly, and I don't want to break anything by fiddling without making sure first.

Anyway:

I am having a little bit of difficulty following Rich's instructions.

1: I have always read that the quickest way of dulling knife edges is to adjust action with tension on the strings, yet I see no mention of this (maybe its there and I don't see it?) when following the directions. Should I adjust action when tuned to pitch?

2: The "post" is the big allen screw, and the set screws are the the tiny ones inside the post. Is that correct, or the other way around?

3: How far do I back out the set screws before tightening the posts to lower the action?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yes, the action is supposed to be adjusted at pitch.

yes, the post is the big allen screw thing, the posts are what make contact with the knife edges of the trem.

just back it out till it's loose. a couple of turns. think of it as a cylinder (the post) with the set screws protruding from the bottom. if you move the set screws up, the post can then be moved down further.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, so now, Im getting "choking" only on the high e string, all the way up the neck. it didnt matter if i raised the action up quite a ways, it seems to have much less sustain and a funny zinging sound, but only on the treble e string.

what am I doing wrong here? Its like I can get the action lower on the bass strings than I can on the high ones, which is opposite of

ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_8.htm

oh, I think ive found it. the nut has an indentation in it, very slight, but when i slacked off the high e, picked it up and slid the string over a tiny bit and tuned back to e, it seems to help it. Could the nut be the cuase?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts