Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recently got this an Ibanez S540 '94 (the purple one with gold hardware). Guitar is in fairly good coniditon, the gold has worn from the bridge and pickup rings etc, its been sat in a case for the last couple of years.

Now down to the possible problem - started doing a clean up today, new strings, bit of lemon oil to clean up the board and a nice bit of polish to make it sparkle again. When re-stringing, got them all in nice and easy, tightened up the saddle block (finger tight, strings in straight, no twists), and when stretching the string, they just came straight up out. I normally pull from around 9th/12 fret up a bit, wasn't doing it too hard and they just came right out.

Pics below of the bridge, there's a fair bit of wear where the strings sit but unsure as to whether or not this is something I can fix myself or if it would be best to just replace it with another bridge entirely.

thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi, check the wear of your saddle blocks and make sure the string goes all the way in and that the bolt is nice and tight.

Regards,
Nelson

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it was tight as it would go - obviously without over doing it - could it be the side the string sits on as this is worn as you can see in the pics

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Which strings did this happen on? It looks to me like the blocks should be replaced because they're rusty.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah ok - some were ok, just the three strings that are misisng are the ones that came off!

would it be safe to put a bit of wd40 or something in there? (even rubbing it on with a cotton bud?)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
the blocks aint turned around so that the locating counterbore for the tightening bolt is against the saddle ?
take out the blocks and inspect them, also inspect the cavity where the string fits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts