Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought this guitar and its pretty old 15 years old. when i push down it goes like mayb 2-5 cents flat sometimes. when i pull up it seems to never go out of tune sometimes it even fixes it after going flat from a pull up. when me and my friend really played with it to hear what it can do when we were done with playing with it for 5 minutes it went out of tune 24 cents sharp. when i play with it not using the tremolo it seems very stable never goes out of tune. my tremolo is a lo pro edge on a 1995 rg570ct. the poles look like they could be warn as there is a gold line in the middle of the v which i guess could be from where as my tremolo is gold. the knife edges could look better but did not look totally like they could be the problem. i put chapstick on them and for 5 days it did the trick but now its doing it again. is this typically normal for a floating tremelo and as good as it gets or what can i do? i am using 10's for strings and my knife edge lays flat easily all the time and looks like it finds the center of my poles as it always looks parallel with my body when its at rest. i noticed for some reason my guitar came with 5 springs already installed so it seems to be capable of staying stable. i just dont know what to do? i think i probably need to replace the poles. but in the mean while what else can i try that might fix it? is there anything i should do to my knife edges? is it possible to buy new knife edges and how do you replace knife edges? is it hard? what else can i try in the mean while before my poles get hear that might fix it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yeah rich i have followed word for word every step i can find on your site when setting up my guitar before i even posted it your site has been very helpful and my main reference. every issue i have hit i found an answer there so thanks. and so far with everything it has all worked like a charm. maybe im just not as good at this like a notorious pro like you are rich but i did follow all that when tuning and all. and when i dont use the tremolo it stays in tune for days and probably could go for a whole month if i never used the tremolo but. its my tremolo that throws it out a bit after a while. you did say no one gets 1000% return but does mine sound like its still not up to par with what it should be doing rich? after using it for like an hour or two if i really use the tremolo a lot it will go out like 24 cents sharp or flat. i feal i need new poles probably i was planning on ordering them from you soon. does that sound like most likely my issue or what else should i check or consider replacing or checking out to fix too? or is this acceptable for a floating tremolo?

thanks rich.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
mine is the rg570ct so its alder wood but that probably does no matter whats the inserts. oh i see its the anchors. i will do what you say to do and check it for any looseness and i am going to check my knife edges. i looked at them before they did not look great but nothing bad actually pretty incredible for what i expected on a 15 year old product. but is alderwood as bad as basswood at this its pretty soft like basswood too so probably. so basically either pull them out and replace and use superglue and wood glue to tighten the hole or i dont even need to replace them just get that hole tighter with super glue and then wood glue? sounds like a project but makes sense? and i will replace the poles while i am at it too and use the ones i have to pull them out as your recomended to use crappy poles to pull them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts