Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening to all!!!
does anyone know if these metal plates in the red frame are part of the tremolo, or have been installed later and what are they used for ???
as well as if you can tell if the edges of the knife are damaged ???

·
Registered
219 Posts
They just help make sure the saddles are the right hight without needing each saddle to be made at a specific height. It's cheaper to make 6 of the same size saddles and then put a thin price of metal under it to raise it rather then make unique saddles across it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[QUOTE = "KennyV, ανάρτηση: 1564223, μέλος: 82543"]
Απλώς βοηθούν να βεβαιωθείτε ότι οι σέλες είναι το σωστό ύψος χωρίς να χρειάζεται κάθε σέλα να κατασκευάζεται σε συγκεκριμένο ύψος. Είναι φθηνότερο να φτιάξετε 6 σέλες ίδιου μεγέθους και στη συνέχεια να βάλετε μια λεπτή τιμή μετάλλου κάτω από αυτό για να το αυξήσετε αντί να φτιάξετε μοναδικές σέλες σε αυτό.
[/ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ, ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ]
ευχαριστω για την απαντηση !!!!
έτσι είναι από το εργοστάσιο και δεν έχουν εγκατασταθεί από τον προηγούμενο κάτοχο;
μπορείτε να δείτε εάν οι άκρες των μαχαιριών έχουν υποστεί ζημιά;

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOTE = "KennyV, ανάρτηση: 1564223, μέλος: 82543"]
Απλώς βοηθούν να βεβαιωθείτε ότι οι σέλες είναι το σωστό ύψος χωρίς να χρειάζεται κάθε σέλα να κατασκευάζεται σε συγκεκριμένο ύψος. Είναι φθηνότερο να φτιάξετε 6 σέλες ίδιου μεγέθους και στη συνέχεια να βάλετε μια λεπτή τιμή μετάλλου κάτω από αυτό για να το αυξήσετε αντί να φτιάξετε μοναδικές σέλες σε αυτό.
[/ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ, ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ]
thank you for the answer !!!!
so they are from the factory and are not installed by the previous owner ??
can you see if the edges of the knives are damaged?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for the answer !!!!
so they are from the factory and are not installed by the previous owner ??
can you see if the edges of the knives are damaged?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah, factory.

As for the knife edges, they look pretty good.
They don't look chewed up, just minimal wear shown on the left edge. But looks more like the paint is discolored rather then the metal worn out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some issues with tuning ....
in every dive, the tuning is lost ...
as soon as I do a little pull up it comes back ..
the technician told me it is from the springs.
the edges told me they are clean.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Old or dirty spring can kind of stick sometimes.

Changing springs is also just a $5 job.
So best to try that first rather then worry about the edges.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 more photos from the edges as far as they can be seen ....
we changed springs, strings, and set up again ... we'll see.

·
Registered
219 Posts
They still look in great shape to me.
The little grooves by your finger are just to line up the springs.

Also, make sure your springs are parallel.
Too many people set them up in a ' \ l / ' pattern instead of a ' l l l ' pattern.

If you have them angled like the first one, they experience uneven pressure are you dive.
The outside springs will always have more tension then the center spring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the answers !!!!
the guitar is a js 1000 98 'and I thought there was an issue with the knife edges ....
in fact I was thinking of ordering a new lo pro edge ...
the springs are parallel.

·
Registered
219 Posts
To my eyes, the top one just has more worn out paint.

As long as there isn't a super noticable groove on it, then it should be ok.

If you scratch at both with your nail in the groove, do they feel about the same?

You may only feel a very slight lip where the black paint is missing but should feel smooth otherwise.

Also, these are locking studs. So the little nub sticking out at the end can be retracted with another Allen key.

Maybe the locking studs were a bit loose or not set right?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Your Tuning stability issue is probably due to a lack of lubrication. Apply a little chapstick on the knife edges and your tuning issue should go away. Your posts/studs look fine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Your Tuning stability issue is probably due to a lack of lubrication. Apply a little chapstick on the knife edges and your tuning issue should go away. Your posts/studs look fine.
Never thought of using chap stick.
I've always just swabbed it with WD-40 when I change strings.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It was Rich who informed me of that, nothing works better. I was surprised when I heard it for the first time too. One of his methods of application is, turn the post 180 degrees, apply a little chapstick to the post with a tooth pick, then spin them back around.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It was Rich who informed me of that, nothing works better. I was surprised when I heard it for the first time too. One of his methods of application is, turn the post 180 degrees, apply a little chapstick to the post with a tooth pick, then spin them back around.
Agreed, chapstick works well to lubricate non-locking nuts, saddles, string trees, any potential binding site for guitar strings.

I like WD-40 but wouldn't get it near any guitar parts. Aside from the nasty smell, it gets pretty gummed up over time as dust/debris settles in there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
can anyone tell me what a chapstick is ???
some photo, some information;
I have never heard of it ... is it some liquid, some grease, some oil ???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts