Ibanez JEM Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
can anyone tell me what a chapstick is ???
some photo, some information;
I have never heard of it ... is it some liquid, some grease, some oil ???
Chap stick is lip balm.

It's like a small tube of lip lotion made of bee wax and oils

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lol sorry, I should have used a term that was more general... That's like when someone needs to use a tissue for their nose and saying... Can I have a Kleenex?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thank you all for the answers.
I will try to find the chapstick to put on.
I hope that the tuning will be corrected by changing the springs.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The springs are not your problem. Just lube those tremolo posts and your problem will be solved. I have guitars that are 30+ years old with factory springs and they work just fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The springs are not your problem. Just lube those tremolo posts and your problem will be solved. I have guitars that are 30+ years old with factory springs and they work just fine.
the technician put lubricant ...
I do not know what, but he put in all the parts of the tremolo as he does and in all the guitars that he does service ...
It is not expensive for me to change the springs either, so I changed them to exclude the failure of the tuning from them.
unfortunately the technician is far away so I do not have direct contact with him and with the guitar.
he told me it was done, and I expect him to send it to me.
what I was afraid of were the edges of the knives .....
since the edges are ok, I think he made it.

·
Vendor
26,431 Posts
Chapstick may not be available in your country, but there's this thing called google. Not every question needs to be asked.

A guitar should never go out of tune on dive only. Dive, tune,, lock down, dive, fine tune. It should always return in exact tune if you've stretched the strings. If it doesn't return to pitch from a dive then you probably have loose anchors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
thank you for the valuable information ...
Believe me I do not want to tire anyone, but unfortunately only in this group I can find convincing information and be able to learn some things !!
as far as the tremolo is concerned, in every dive it loses tuning ..... and with a quick small pull up it comes to normal tuning ...
the technician tells me that he changed springs and that the problem was solved ....
I am very skeptical about whether the problem was solved .... when the guitar comes to me it will show ....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi to all!!!!
can you help me if in these pictures you see something that is not right ??
-like the angle of the bridge,
-the height of the pickups,
-and the screws that catch the nail of the springs ....
IMG_20210606_172223.jpg
IMG_20210606_171805.jpg
IMG_20210606_171851.jpg
IMG_20210606_171943.jpg
IMG_20210606_172012.jpg
IMG_20210606_172055.jpg
IMG_20210606_172055.jpg
IMG_20210606_172128.jpg

·
Registered
498 Posts
The bridge is slightly too far forward. You can see where I circled, that bar looking piece in the side of the bridge is the knife edge. It should be parallel to the flat surface of your body. It's just slightly too far forward. it's a minor adjustment. Correcting this will slightly lower your action though. The spring claw is also a little uneven. I am not sure if that really matters too much but it does bother my OCD lol.

Pickup height is sort of a personal preference. Some like it high, some like it low, some like the treble side high and the bass side low... Some like them even. It's about what sounds best to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
thank you for the answer.
the guitar just came from a technician on the subject of tuning ... springs were changed, in diving it does not lose tuning, in pull ups it loses slightly ....
can I bring the bridge in the same straight line with the body by tightening the screws of the body ???
I do not want to send it back to the technician because I give a lot of money and I do not see anything ...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes but when you tighten the springs it will make your strings go out of tune. They will be sharp. There is a balance of spring and string tension right now keeping the guitar in tune. So when you adjust the springs in tighter, your strings will rise in pitch. So try to adjust the springs in in equal but small increments... Like 1/8th to 1/4 turns at a time. Retune... And continue until your bridge is level and in tune.

As for your tuning going slightly sharp after pulling up, that may be due to a lack of lubrication at your bridge posts. That's why we had mentioned to you before to use what we called chapstick, which is a lip lubricant that is used if you have dried lips. This helps return the bridge to perfect zero. I've heard that a small drop petroleum jelly could work too.

Or depending on the year of the guitar (Rich has mentioned in the past on this forum...) the knife edges may have an issue from factory. I don't really know much about that specific issue though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have already ordered a chapstick and I am waiting for it ..
the guitar is a js 1000 of 1998 ..
I do not have access to a technician near me, that's why I ask a lot and maybe I will tire you with a lot of questions ...

·
Registered
219 Posts
You also want the spring claw to be even.
It seems like it's slightly crooked.
It needs to be parallel to the cavity and tone block of the bridge.

That keeps the tension even.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You're not tiring me with questions haha. I wasn't trying to make it seem as though you were asking unnecessary questions, just reminding you of was said.

With these floating trem systems, you are better off taking the time to learn yourself. Most guitars do not have these sort of trem systems, techs often have little experience with these. The guy seems to have set it up pretty well besides the tuning situation you are having.

One last thing to check. Inside the posts that the bridge pivots on are very small locking setscrews. You can see the hole in the middle of the post. If those setscrews are not locked down it will cause tuning stability issues. If you have an Ibanez multitool with your guitar, it is the smallest Allen wrench. If it's loose, run the setscrews down until they stop, then take the 4mm Allen that turns the actual post and turn it a little more. Do not attempt the tighten the small Allen screws with the 1.5mm Allen, it can round off the Allen wrench. That may be why it's going out of tune when you pull up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
be well !!
I have the Ibanez multitool and I have tightened the screws you say ... I try to be informed about the guitar, and to make correct movements and actions ...
the technician has assured me that the edges of the knives are clean .... what can I say ...
the only thing i can not do and i am not sure if i should do it is to try to set up the bridge ...
I think I will do it all hell !!!!!!
if it was an old guitar maybe, but I don't want to do it on it ..
I read ibanezrules for various technical issues but it is difficult for me and I do not think I can do it alone.
Anyway, thank you all for trying to give your knowledge to others !!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts