Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
I have a little problem with my lo-pro on '95 alder rg570. If I press down the whammy bar all string goes out out tune a little ( every string 10-15 cents down). If I pull the whammy bar up again every string goes back in tune. I didn't tune my guitar for 2 months, because it's perfectly in tune (I had this problem before, so strings are ok), except when i press down the whammy bar.

Anybody knows where is the problem ? Should I lubricate knife edges with graphite ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I play this guitar every day for 2 years and this problem is always there, even when new strings are on. It's set up as it should be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I tuned it after a dive bomb ;).

But the problem is stil there, lo-pro tremolo simply don't want to return to the right place.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Check the nuts on the locking saddle!!
If they're turned by 90° the strings can slip underneath which results in the guitar going out of tune every time you use the trem (Divebombs AND Upbends!!)

I've spent hours once to check for the failure until I noticed that the previous owner I got it from had turned the locking nuts.
The nuts are concave on the bottom. If you turn them, the concave shape doesn't fit onto the convex upper side of the saddle, resulting in a very small spot where the strings are locked! That's not enough to hold the strings in position, they kinda "slide" underneath the nuts and you might not actually HEAR it.

Very small mistake but a tremendously nerving result!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try it and report

well now it's tuned after dive so i can make 10 dive bombs and it will stay in tune. But after a single pull-up all strings would be tuned to high. Then if I make dive again, every string would be in tune again.

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
You've solved half the problem, the rest is lubrication. Spin the studs 180* and fill the exposed side with lip balm, or any lubricant with PTFE's. Spin them back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lubricated it and it works much better. Problem is stil there, but in range of 4 cents witch is ok for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update... ...I polished knife edges with 400 grit stone. Now everything stays perfectly in tune even aften dive bomb or pull-ups

1 - 13 of 13 Posts