Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an MIJ RG470 with a Lo-TRS tremolo, but with no bar.

After some research, it looks as though the replacement bar is the threaded kind. I actually really dislike threaded bars, so my question is, can I replace the trem arm assembly on the Lo-TRS with a Schaller trem arm assembly? I would prefer the Schaller type if I need to buy a trem arm anyways.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No you cant. On most floyds, the arm assembly is its own unit (ala the schaller style, or the gotoh press in style) but on these the assembly is built into the base plate and the spring block so swapping out the arm assembly is not possible without EXTENSIVE modifications.

That particular lo-trs is actually a really good floyd; unlike the trs-2 which is garbage lol, but it would honestly be easier to swap to a different floyd than to sort that. Also, unfortunately... unlike those schaller type assemblies that are more or less "universal" these threaded arms are specific to that model alone. Different manufacturers use different thread counts and pitches for the trem arms to screw in, so one brands arm will not fit another (usually*).

good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was simultaneously good news and bad news. Finding a real deal Lo-TRS arm was proving difficult, so I figured I would get stuck just having to buy a new bridge like a Gotoh or something. Then it dawned on me that I have a threaded tremolo arm in a junk drawer. I bought a used Jackson King V from the 90s that had the TRS-101 which uses a similar arm. I sold the Jackson a while back, but still have the arm, and holy ****, it fits, lol. What are the odds? That takes a load off my mind. Now I can start working on getting a set of green Evos, lol.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That was simultaneously good news and bad news. Finding a real deal Lo-TRS arm was proving difficult, so I figured I would get stuck just having to buy a new bridge like a Gotoh or something. Then it dawned on me that I have a threaded tremolo arm in a junk drawer. I bought a used Jackson King V from the 90s that had the TRS-101 which uses a similar arm. I sold the Jackson a while back, but still have the arm, and holy ****, it fits, lol. What are the odds? That takes a load off my mind. Now I can start working on getting a set of green Evos, lol.
Nice :). Sorry I should have been more clear though; takeuchi makes the TRS101; which is what the lo-trs is essentially. So all of those fit fine (same brand, basically identical bridge); but other brands and types of bridges that also use "threaded arms" very similarly and THOSE dont work. I didnt want you buying a "threaded arm" for say a babicz or a fender bridge to put in your trs.

Glad to hear you had a spare :D, thats serendipity at its finest for sure lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice :). Sorry I should have been more clear though; takeuchi makes the TRS101; which is what the lo-trs is essentially. So all of those fit fine (same brand, basically identical bridge); but other brands and types of bridges that also use "threaded arms" very similarly and THOSE dont work. I didnt want you buying a "threaded arm" for say a babicz or a fender bridge to put in your trs.

Glad to hear you had a spare :D, thats serendipity at its finest for sure lol.
I knew what you meant. The TRS-101 was used on a lot of Japanese guitars back in the 90s. I think the Lo-TRS, which is the Ibanez version was slightly different to have a lower profile on the guitar, but most of the parts are interchangeable, if my memory serves me correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.