Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LO TRS, one of the saddles has stripped threads where the string lock screw is screwed in. Is there a good place to look for a replacement? Or does anyone here have one?

Also, how do you get the string lock block out? It's got a little lip that keeps it in the saddle.

Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory Electronic instrument Circuit component
Door Wood Grey Beige Cross
Brown Pollinator Arthropod Wood Grey
Wood Beige Font Insect Electric blue

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a LO TRS, one of the saddles has stripped threads where the string lock screw is screwed in. Is there a good place to look for a replacement? Or does anyone here have one?

Also, how do you get the string lock block out? It's got a little lip that keeps it in the saddle.

View attachment 18873 View attachment 18872 View attachment 18874 View attachment 18875
You could probably find them at https://www.ibanezrules.com/ or maybe on ebay or something. I have heard also that some guitar part websites may also sell them as well. They are a bit of a quest to find. Also, is that an RG in Titanium Ice??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You could probably find them at https://www.ibanezrules.com/ or maybe on ebay or something. I have heard also that some guitar part websites may also sell them as well. They are a bit of a quest to find. Also, is that an RG in Titanium Ice??
Ibanez rules says "there are none left." I really don't like ordering stuff on Ebay, I usually lose that crapshoot... I'm probably going with a Gotoh GE1996T - they are supposedly a drop-in replacement.
It is an RG, yes. The color is a light purple sparkle... not sure what it's called.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Rich doesn't update the inventory numbers on the site daily or even weekly. It wouldn't hurt to email him and see what the availability is. It may be something he doesn't stock anymore either because he might not move that item enough to justify stocking it. He can order anything that is still available from ibanez... Either way, he's your best bet at getting new for a good price.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sounds like it's time to upgrade the trem. Floyd makes a lot profile style trem like that.

It's expensive... But I don't think anyone else makes that style trem besides the lo pro edge.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well it looks like FR stopped making them back in 2020. There are still some out there, there's just a limited number of them, plus a limited number of finish options. They did make them in black chrome like yours is... But those are probably harder to find. However It's possible that all you need are the FR brand saddles for one of these bridges. I have used Floyd rose brand saddles on a regular TRS Floyd style trem... Unless you are willing to elongate the trem cavity to accept a regular Floyd rose type trem, I am afraid your options are pretty limited.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well it looks like FR stopped making them back in 2020. There are still some out there, there's just a limited number of them, plus a limited number of finish options. They did make them in black chrome like yours is... But those are probably harder to find. However It's possible that all you need are the FR brand saddles for one of these bridges. I have used Floyd rose brand saddles on a regular TRS Floyd style trem... Unless you are willing to elongate the trem cavity to accept a regular Floyd rose type trem, I am afraid your options are pretty limited.
I believe that's an RG 470. Your saying even the GE1996T needs some cavity routing due to the string screws? Just doing some research for my own purposes ;)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yes the cavity is much smaller than a regular TRS's cavity. The gotoh Floyd as of now would not fit due to the small cavity. What might is a Schaller Floyd with the short locking screws like this

Rectangle Font Electronic component Auto part Machine

They come in a variety of finishes... That one is a picture of a lefty... But this style is your best bet. Either way even if it doesn't quite fit, it would require minimal routing. That's easily done with a Dremel... To me it looks like it would drop in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Say I went with the Gotoh GE1996T - there are three trem block sizes... 33mm, 36mm, or 40mm. The block on the current trem is just under 35mm. Which block should I get? 36mm as long as it doesn't interfere with any movement?

Also @JsXLine6 - are you saying I may need to route the cavity out some to get the Gotoh to fit? Philadelphia Luthier has a good diagram with measurements. I'll measure the existing trem and compare.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yes if you get the gotoh you will need to route it out a bit. I have a js100 that had the original TRS, I upgraded to a Gotoh... reused my posts and I had to route that back slightly when I switched to 9's. When I had 10's on the guitar it fit... After switching to 9's and reintonating, one saddle had to go back pretty far and it no longer fit. And that cavity is bigger than yours. However the Schaller comes with 2 different types of length saddle block screws. There's the stubby version, and the normal longer screw version. The gotoh however accommodates multiple trem post spacing. The Schaller does not. I am going to measure my trems really quick, I have a Schaller on a warmoth build, and a Gotoh on my js100.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Okay so, after measuring... The JS100 (that had a TRS oringally) and my warmoth build both have a post spacing of 74mm. So the Schaller would work on your RG when it comes to post spacing. Also from the front of the baseplate to the back measures 58mm. Now the gotoh from the front of the baseplate to the rear saddle screw (intonated for a guitar with 9's) is 78mm. That's pretty long. Keep in mind, the Schaller even with the short Allen screws can protrude a little behind the trem if the saddle is slid back. But not by a lot. At most maybe a CM. Also my gotoh has a 33mm block and it fits great in the js100. I am currently modding and repainting the body of the JS that is why it's not currently in the guitar.

Blue Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Audio equipment

Circuit component Hood Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I personally like the gotoh over the Schaller, but it all depends on what you would rather do. If one drops in and fits great... And the other requires routing, it's a preference. However the gotoh will be offset, it will not fit in the cavity symmetrically due to the design of the baseplate. The Schaller has a symmetrical baseplate. Not sure if that even matters to you, but it's worth mentioning. The picture attached is how the gotoh looks in a TRS cavity. You can see the spacing isn't even. Also according to Schaller the radius on the Schaller is a 12" radius. The gotoh comes set at a 16" radius just like your RG's neck. You can get some saddle shims from all parts cheap to correct the radius on the Schaller though.

Musical instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yes the Schaller. The Schaller is made from cast and has hardened knife inserts just like the Ibanez edge has hardened inserts. The lockmeister has a hardened baseplate like the gotoh or the original Floyd rose. Like this one

You can see in the picture the string lock block Allen screws are not protruding past the baseplate like a lockmeister, gotoh or original Floyd rose.. Keep in mind though the Schaller does come with either length screws.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes the Schaller....
Like this one

Perfect! Thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes the Schaller. The Schaller is made from cast and has hardened knife inserts just like the Ibanez edge has hardened inserts. The lockmeister has a hardened baseplate like the gotoh or the original Floyd rose. Like this one

You can see in the picture the string lock block Allen screws are not protruding past the baseplate like a lockmeister, gotoh or original Floyd rose.. Keep in mind though the Schaller does come with either length screws.
Thanks for the good intel! One Last question. I personally hate the casted appearance of the Schaller. Do you think some of the Low Profile FR's you mentioned would drop in? It seems to me like they are quite similar to the Schaller in terms of installation...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts