Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
The body is Japanese not LACS. The neck could have been put on that body at any time in it's life by Rebs tech, or it could have been adapted by LACS. The only ones that would know for sure would be in Rebs camp and these kind of details are usually long forgotten or remembered slightly different.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Agree with Rich, that's basically a production body. The LACS bodies are pretty different and usually had a Floyd. Also the Lo Pro would have to be a replacement, since the first year guitars had the Edge. Would be interested in seeing more pics of the neck, specifically the front and back of the headstock.

Also if you decide to sell, I'd be interested in talking.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Very interesting. Looks like a 1992 build. Could explain why they're mating a custom shop neck to stock body. Also explains the Lo Pro trem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess its possible this trem was a "prototype" at the time as well.... Because Ibanez released the 1st Lo-Pro trem on 1991 guitars. This guitar was built for Reb in 1990. Anyone know how I could get ahold of Mace Bailey these days?

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
That neck could have been put on that body in 1990 or 1999, this is more an assembly of parts to complete a guitar, probably to sell. Just a feeling.

The neck wood is not what I'd expect, the Japanese necks were outstanding Bolivian. What is unique is the volute 1 piece instead of scarf joint.

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
That would have been considered a poor neck joint mate for the time period, reminiscent of the USRG's. Factory would have been much better

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep in mind. This wasn't some random eBay / pawn shop / guitar shop purchase. This came from one of the most highly respected recording engineers in the rock music industry, and it had been in his possession since way back when it was created. It is in it's original form that it was when he obtained it from Mace back in the early 90's. There is some documentation around about 3 of the prototypes having more exotic tops and one being a plain top.

I do agree that it appears Mace used this neck on multiple bodies as can be seen in the dowel holes. I find it interesting that body says "sample". I've owned a lot of Ibanez guitars & never seen or heard of one that said that.

I've got emails out to some other folks on this guitar as well & will share as I find more info. Until then appreciate everyone's feedback.

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
I still surmise that was a parts creation, an assemblage of parts. which happens alot with artists guitars. I've seen plenty of Sample stamps and how you know the body is Fujigen, I've seen plenty more just ganji hand written in pen with no stamps. It is what it is, unless you find pics of Reb actually playing it, and wood grain is particular and easy to match up, it's just going to always have alot of questions and mostly speculation.

I see Mace at NAMM every few years, he's still somewhere in the LA area working as a mechanic.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
90', 9/28/90. That neck was on at least a few bodies before resting with that one.
Got it. I was reading it like the Hosono UCEW's: year followed by sequential serial number.
That neck could have been put on that body in 1990 or 1999, this is more an assembly of parts to complete a guitar, probably to sell. Just a feeling.

The neck wood is not what I'd expect, the Japanese necks were outstanding Bolivian. What is unique is the volute 1 piece instead of scarf joint.
Yeah, the 1-piece neck is really cool.

My guess here is that it's an early production sample body that they put that neck on. Timeline with the neck would line up. Trem would have come along later or was possibly a Floyd at some point.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Here are some pics I have of one of the LACS guitars (1/25/90 production). This one has a more "standard" control layout compared some of the other ones. Also has the production output jack location. You can see how much pointier the horns are on the prototype, how much thicker the top is and how wildly sculpted the neck joint is.

Catalog guitar is a different guitar. Totally weird control layout, Edge trem, volume knob nearly touching the pickup ring and output jack in the typical RG location.

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
I doubt Mace put that neck on 3 different bodies within 3 months. It's always possible, but I don't see it. So timeline goes out the window when you're just talking about assembling available parts to make a complete guitar, usually done to sell. And that it came from Mace would be surprising, because the parts should not have been his. They were either Rebs, or LACS, the builder does not own the parts or the whole, unless some deal was made to acquire, only to sell again? Doesn't hold alot of water.

You can speculate till the cows come home of course, we're 27 years down the road and Joe and Steve barely remember anything about their guitars from that period, or their stories have changed over the years. Old memories are not usually correct memories.

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
Having said that, I have one of Lipe's JS prototypes that he Lipe sold, so maybe things were a little faster and looser than they should have been.

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
Here are some pics I have of one of the LACS guitars (1/25/90 production). This one has a more "standard" control layout compared some of the other ones. Also has the production output jack location. You can see how much pointier the horns are on the prototype, how much thicker the top is and how wildly sculpted the neck joint is.

And that is the neck joint mate you would expect to see from a guitar built, or assembled for Reb to actually use.

You can see how much longer the joint is on the LACS body compared to the Fujigen, and why the mate is way off as are the holes.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I doubt Mace put that neck on 3 different bodies within 3 months. It's always possible, but I don't see it. So timeline goes out the window when you're just talking about assembling available parts to make a complete guitar, usually done to sell. And that it came from Mace would be surprising, because the parts should not have been his. They were either Rebs, or LACS, the builder does not own the parts or the whole, unless some deal was made to acquire, only to sell again? Doesn't hold alot of water.
Well if the neck is 9/28/90, that would be right around the time you'd think that they'd be playing around with sample production bodies for the soon to be released Voyager. Obviously they hadn't yet arrived on the RBM1 vs RBM2 thing yet.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
You can see how much longer the joint is on the LACS body compared to the Fujigen, and why the mate is way off as are the holes.
I had never noticed that before. The neck joint extends past the lower horn on the LACS guitar and stops short of it on the production guitar. That explains why the contouring looks the way it does.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts