Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am going to play a '91 RG 550 that was posted on Craigslist to see if I want to buy it. What should I be looking for? Thanks in advance for any advice you all can offer.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Locking nut cracks, large neck pocket cracks, trem post anchors. Lock nut cracks are usually pretty easy to repair, small neck pocket cracks at bass and treble sides of the pocket are not a big deal, trem post anchors can become rounded out over time with heavy tunings. If the trem looks straight to the trem pocket at the posts, its probably fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I went and played the guitar but passed on it. It had too many dings (including some of what looked like cigarette burns into the body) and it didn't "speak to me" when I played it.

Now I am looking at the Genesis series as a possibility to scratch my RG itch. I think I need to start a thread to get your opinion on those guitars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. I went and played the guitar but passed on it. It had too many dings (including some of what looked like cigarette burns into the body) and it didn't "speak to me" when I played it.

Now I am looking at the Genesis series as a possibility to scratch my RG itch. I think I need to start a thread to get your opinion on those guitars.
I've had two amazing eBay deals on "as new" mint used RG550s over the last year or so:-

An '18 RG550 Genesis for £415 GB, plus postage
An '01 RG550EX for £335 GB, collected

Although they're revered to an extent, I tend to shy away from late '80s to '90s RGs due to the high likelihood of fret and knife edge wear and neck warping. The more modern RGs do tend to address the short comings of the early ones - volutes, strengthened necks, low profile neck joints (I wish my Genesis had one). For the best MIJ deals there are usually plenty of RG1570s on sale. If you wait a bit you may find a minty one.

PS. What guitars do you normally play and what type of music? Wizard necks suit a "thumb behind" playing style involving dyads and single note runs. They get a bad rap on many guitar forums but IMO there are ways around getting comfortable with a Wizard. If you need to play some funk type stuff with lots of barre chords up the neck this can be straining on a flat, thin neck. A proper stretching routine prevents cramping up for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts