Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'v been looking around a lot lately for a new amp. My tiny little fender isn't cutting it anymore and i want something bigger and louder that i can use to jam with my friends. So i went looking around today and found a Carvin head for i think $400. It looked very similar to the X100B but looked like it had a few differences. Has anybody had any experience with this amp? I also was wondering if anybody had a good suggestion for a cabinet to use with it? I want something kinda cheap since i am very poor. I have never owned a stack of any kind before so really have no idea what to look for. :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
You will almost never need a stack. A 50 watt combo will be plenty of amp and easier to to haul around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Any suggestions for things i should look out for. I plan on hitting a lot of pawn shops and local guitar stores.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Play everything you can, buy what you like best. If you fall for an amp that's out of your budget keep saving and get it, don't buy an amp you don't like as much just because you can afford it. You'll end up spending more in the long run.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
you might want to checkout line6 amps.ive never looked back since i bought my line6 flextone111, quite a few built in effects aswell so no need for effects boards pedals ect.there not to expensive neither

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Cid's right, but with one exception, you buy a Tube combo and I feel that you loose something unless you have an external cab to play through. Combo amps are torture chambers for tubes and induce extra noise and vibration through the microphonics of the tubes.

Keep that in mind when making your purchase.
That said, for 400 bucks, you could find a nice tube combo on craigslist or ****.
Deals are out there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for all the help guys! And about the line 6, i have a Boss GT-8 so i dont really have to worry about effects.

But ill start looking for some tube combos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts