Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after years of using my digitech 2101, I think I'm in need of a new Multi Effects processor. I have looked at a few, yet wanted some opinions of others I have yet to try out.

I also was looking for something that would not break the bank at this time either.

I have looked at some of these, but in the short time I played around with them I found some were hard to tweak to my settings, which maybe easier with the computer interface, but then I would need to get a laptop for gigging. Also, some did not have the same tone as my current effects because they didnt have the 12AX7 tubes for that extra crunch.

Pod XTpro ( was ok, a few less effects than I currently have, but no tubs )

Digitech GNX3000 & 4 ( long delay between patch switching and hard to modify )

Boss G-8 (seemed a little better than the digitech, but still was not floored by it to make the change)

any other suggestions,

I want to try the Zoom or Vox.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
It might be breaking the bank a little but I've read some positive things about the replacement for the GSP21xx series is a good unit. I'm a little dissapointed they didn't add at least one 12ax7 though.

I had a GT-8 for a week when they came out and after not finding the sounds I wanted I sent it back and later found out that I might have had better luck if I had turned off the pre-amp in the unit. They have alot of power for the buck if you like Boss FX.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I do like my GPS2101, but its kind of a bear to create new patches as you have write it all out before you start and line in-out effects.

Im looking for something a bit easier to use, but with some of same tone.

Im getting tired or carrying my rack around, its too heavy, or im getting too old. :(

Im also at a point I may downsize my rig from the Mesa Boogie 50/50 (2) 4 x12 to just a 2 x 12 mesa boogie lone star, but this is a pricey jump for a smaller package. ;)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

You had delays between patch switching on the GNX4? I have none. It's instant. What were you doing? Do you remember?

Once you figure out the knobs it's not difficult at all.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You had delays between patch switching on the GNX4? I have none. It's instant. What were you doing? Do you remember?

Once you figure out the knobs it's not difficult at all.

dont remember the patches, but it was from a clean to a dirty patch and it delayed as it switched, I sometimes get this too on my system but this seemed more of a gap on the GNX4.

Also what I didnt like about it was no Tubes, as the sound sounded simulated to me in some of the patches as compared to my GSP2101.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
id choose the vox if ur looking for the unit that sounds the best and sounds the most 'real'.
Im still looking to try them as GC didnt have one nor did they have Zoom products either.

these pretzels are making me thirsty!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I owned the BOSS GT-8 for a little over a year, and it's fantastic as a multi-effects. The pre-amp and distortions sections leave a lot to be desired, but if you have a good amp already, and hook it up using the four cable method, it sounds very good.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
I've got a Zoom G7.1ut and I love the sound of the Marshall JCM 800 sim overdriven with a booster and compressor. The other effects I use regularly on the unit are sweet sounding too.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Zoom g9.2tt. Best multieffect ever (at the moment) and the amp modelling is perfect, they are not many amp modelling as their rival the line6 but they make up lack of amp modelling with quality amp modelling. And so far I haven't tried out all the other amps out there, but I've tried and play fender twin reverb and the g9.2tt nails it exactly.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
I would try the Line 6 Pod X3 Live, but it's about $500 or so. It's the new Pod floorboard. You might need to see what you can get for your current rig and go from there.

·
Registered
926 Posts
After testing the G9.2tt and the new Pod X3 live side by side, I would still go with the Zoom.
The Pod delivers more in the realm of quantity (more amp models etc.) and has some really good modulation effects (better than zoom).

In all other departments I preferred the sound of the zoom. Especially even the clean sounds are awesome if you tweak the input and output tube stages a bit, you can get a very warm sounding clean channel. Crunch is pretty much a given, especially the marshall and VOX like crunch sounds are very nice. And high grain sounds are a no brainer on the zoom, it has endless gain. The tone gets so close to the real thing that I really was tempted by this thing.

I think it might not be all that long, when you finally can replace your stack with a modeller... Just the last few inches are missing.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
IMHO non of the units mentioned offer anything over the 2101, their preamp tones can never come close to the twin tubes of the 2101. On top of which the 2101 has 15-band EQ, parametric EQ etc.

I have tried the GT-8 and line6 stuff, they are nothing when compared to a 2101. The only one I would seriously like to try is the Rocktron Prophesy II.

http://www.rocktron.com/

FX-wise the 2101 is so versatile, nothing can touch it. Sure, programming is a bit of a hassle, as for quality, it already has 24bit/48bit processing, to get significantly better you need to look at something like the TC G-system. Ten years of developments haven't actually brought anything superior, just look at the Rocktron Xpression, still 24bit/48bit using a motorola DSP.

If there is a specific effect missing in your 2101, I would suggest hooking up something in the 2101's FX loop, like the aforementioned G-system.

Same with the GT-8 or G.2tt, you are better off, using the 2101 as your main unit.

I believe the GT-8 also has an FX loop after the preamp, with the GT-8 linked like this:

Guitar ->GT8 preamp ->2101 preamp -> GT8 FX -> 2101 FX,

you can use the stompbox simulations from the Boss unit, use clean tubes or mild overdrive in the 2101, then use the best FX from both.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I had the Zoom g9.2tt for a while, but compared to connecting direct to my DSL100's (and using a mix of analogue overdrive and digital reverb/delay pedals) I slowly grew to realise that the Zoom was a piece of junk, mainly due to the quality of its effects – or the way they were shaped by the pre-amp. The effects were total and utter tone suckers, turning the original signal to mush, even the tube generated overdrive/distortions were poor imitations of a real tube amp, when dialled right down to give a little crunch the end result was way too digital or artificial sounding. Very little difference, if any, between the solid state and tube distortions that can be dialled in, and the Wah was pathetic. However despite this, the one redeeming feature was the innovative z axis pedal, the ability so smoothly slide an effect in or out is fantastic. I think that if Zoom were to produce a version that didn’t have the dreaded amp simulation/pre amp section, or at least a way that its pre-amp & amp sim can be 'true bypassed' from the circuit, then it might be a much better pedal. I imagine that the Zoom might sound better with a very clean solid state amp.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Take a poke around my Soundclick page:
http://www.soundclick.com/scali

Pretty much all the newer recordings (since early 2006 I guess) have been made with a Zoom G9.2tt. Some are recorded with a mic'ed up amp (Marshall 6101) where the G9.2tt was only used for effects (4-cable method), others with the G9.2tt recorded direct (via its onboard USB).
(ignore the Guthrie Govan and Randy Rhoads things, they were done with a mic'ed up transistor amp)

Then decide whether or not you like what you hear.

Personally I think the tubes are mostly a gimmick. They do change the sound, and they are useful, but it's more like an eq or compressor effect than that it actually makes the sound more 'tube-like'. Even without the tubes the sounds can be quite realistic.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nah, I haven't played with it live. But my favourite setup is the 4-cable method with the Marshall 6101. In which case it's "The louder, the better" :)
I just record direct these days, because the mic'ed recordings are hit-and-miss. Sometimes they come out okay, sometimes the mic placement was wrong, and you need a lot of eq, compression etc to try and save the recording.
When I record direct, I'll know exactly what the result will be.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IMHO non of the units mentioned offer anything over the 2101, their preamp tones can never come close to the twin tubes of the 2101. On top of which the 2101 has 15-band EQ, parametric EQ etc.

I have tried the GT-8 and line6 stuff, they are nothing when compared to a 2101. The only one I would seriously like to try is the Rocktron Prophesy II.

http://www.rocktron.com/

FX-wise the 2101 is so versatile, nothing can touch it. Sure, programming is a bit of a hassle, as for quality, it already has 24bit/48bit processing, to get significantly better you need to look at something like the TC G-system. Ten years of developments haven't actually brought anything superior, just look at the Rocktron Xpression, still 24bit/48bit using a motorola DSP.

If there is a specific effect missing in your 2101, I would suggest hooking up something in the 2101's FX loop, like the aforementioned G-system.

Same with the GT-8 or G.2tt, you are better off, using the 2101 as your main unit.

I believe the GT-8 also has an FX loop after the preamp, with the GT-8 linked like this:

Guitar ->GT8 preamp ->2101 preamp -> GT8 FX -> 2101 FX,

you can use the stompbox simulations from the Boss unit, use clean tubes or mild overdrive in the 2101, then use the best FX from both.
Yes, as this seems to be where im at trying new multi-effect units, as Im use to the tone and sounds of the 2101, yet this is over 12yr preamp/effects unit and you would think the new stuff would be better. I also upgraded the chip a few years back, which also made a big difference. :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This is my current rig, however, I do not know if I want to get rid of it yet, as I really want to try to get a scaled down version for other stuff im doing:

I want to try to scale down to a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2 x 12 (10/50/100 watt) / multi-effect. So this is probably at least a $2500 investment.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts