Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Invader in the bridge of my guitar and it's too trebly for me.

I look for something darker in the bridge but with high output.

I heard the X2N is pretty trebly too. Maybe D Activator X could be darker or should I go for Super 3 or Super Distortion?

I already have the Evolution (bridge) DP 159 in in the neck of my guitar and I love that sound.

This means I need a dark pickup in the bridge but with higher output than the Evolution.

As a point of comparision it would be darker than the SD Invader SH-8b.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You want a darker, less trebly pickup than the Duncan Invader? Is that even possible?

If you have a 500k tone pot, maybe try swapping it out for a 250k, that should chop some of the top end off.

Rock on!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have put the Evolution DP 159 (bridge) in the neck and it sounds so sweet and warm.

When I switch to the bridge where I have the Invader it sounds too bright and womanish.

@Homebake:

the Tone Zone is fine except I need some higher output pickup to match the Evolution DP 159 in the neck.

I think the Super 3 will do the trick.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I think the SD Custom Custom has got a great sound to it, and it's kind of got one of those darker, hear more of the lower tones, sounds to it. A really great pickup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 'invader' is one of the darkest sounding pickups available. Many people want to replace ist, because it has too LESS treble.
Do you have a 1-meg volume-pot installed? If yes, try a lower one.
Did you try your guitar with different amplifiers?
Don't fix the pickup too near to the strings. Because of it's strong magnetic field there can be generated unharmonic distortions who sound like high-treble-buzzing, especially with strings above 0.49 and harder stroke of strings.

regards, guitarno

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The 'invader' is one of the darkest sounding pickups available. Many people want to replace ist, because it has too LESS treble.
Do you have a 1-meg volume-pot installed? If yes, try a lower one.
Did you try your guitar with different amplifiers?
Don't fix the pickup too near to the strings. Because of it's strong magnetic field there can be generated unharmonic distortions who sound like high-treble-buzzing, especially with strings above 0.49 and harder stroke of strings.

regards, guitarno
I don't have 1-meg volume-pot in my guitar, I tried it with different amplifiers. I tried to lower it down but it didn't sound much better.

It stayed pretty close to the strings but I use Dean Markley Yngwie's Magic so they are not very thick. It was not like the Evolution bridge (in the bridge position) that makes you think it whistles, I don't know how to describe that tone but it was snapier and brighter than what I got from the Evolution bridge in the neck position. It was a tone that starts bright and a bit trebly and then it gets bassy. I don't know if I am clear to you. The Evo bridge is tighter and has a better tonal definition.

A friend of mine told me he didn't like them because they had too much mids and not enough bass response. I am not the only one complaining about the lack of bass in Invader pups.

Anyway I already sold the pup.
My problem was it had a certain tone and the tone is something you canot really change from the EQ. I just didn't like that tone.

Thank you very much!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts