Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post!

I am looking to buy an Ibanez and I love the Steve Vai Jem neck. I played one at GC last night and it just felt right. However, I don't love the Jem itself, and want to see if Ibanez offers that exact neck in other models? Or is it just the Vai model?

Thanks!
Jeff

P. S. I didn't know if this belonged in the Jem forum or here and I apologize if it is in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Which one did you play? The 7VWH - the white one?

The j.customs are pretty close to a modern 7V-JEM neck. The old ones are a bit chunkier but there are exceptions...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it was the JEM77 Blue Floral one. However, I have played other, higher end Jems at GC (one was a really nice white one) and the necks felt similar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Old Jems a bit chunkier than the new Jems? You sure about that?
Absolutely. I have several Fujigen JEMs from 2015 - 2017 (some 7VWH, 77FP2) and they all have pretty slim necks. On the other hand the necks on my '89 77FP and my '97 7VWH are a bit chunkier. Maybe 1 mm but they fill out my hand more than the current ones.

I learned playing the guitar back in the 80s and the biggest steps I made with my '87 RG550 which has a super slim neck. So my liking tends to the modern JEM necks. That's why I feel the difference between old and current JEMs very much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like the neck I kind of bonded with is the 400mm one, so a bit less thin than most of the 430mm. I know there are more dimensions than that, but I think that is the main factor. There's something about how my fingers just...fit that neck all the way up the fret board. I think, besides the JEMs, the only newer Ibanez that have a 400mm neck are the Premiums. Unless some older Prestige do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts