Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a Agile Les Paul player looking to get into the Ibanez world. Classic Rock is my genre but I love Steve Vai whammy bar work and riff speed. I don't need metal sounds so I'm wondering if there is an Ibanez that will suit me or that I could mod. I prefer no pickup in middle too.

I'm not a big spender but would like to see what is possible. My current guitar has the Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz model for the neck and SH-4 JB on bridge and work fine for me. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A used JS1000 or JS1200 might do the job well there unless you really like the Steve Vai feel of a JEM/RG.

JS is super fast but slightly more stratty neck than the RG/Jems. Two DiMarzios, no middle pick up. And will have an Edge or Edge pro bridge so the full range of whammy bar tricks are at your fingertips.
Less metal more classic rock than an RG?

2nd hand easily available for under $1000 or £700 and you'll struggle to get a Japanese made jem for that.

If you want the RG body shape instead then I'm not sure with 2 humbuckers. As I'd look at used Japanese RG550s or a used JEM505 if you can find one. Both have the middle single coil though.
Someone in here will know better suggestions for H H options. There are lots of people here way more knowledgeable than me!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Same advice, a JS1000/1200 guitar would fit your style of music really well. The stock DiMarzios are very versatile, the tremolos are very stable (the best in my opinion), and the necks are wonderful. I came from playing a Les Paul for years and found the really skinny Wizard and Super Wizard necks very thin and hard to play. The JS neck feels great though and the build quality is top notch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. How close is the sound to a les paul though when plugged into a marshall with el34s?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thanks for the reply. How close is the sound to a les paul though when plugged into a marshall with el34s?
My old Les Paul is set neck mahogany and the JS guitars are basswood, so the JS is a little brighter and more open sounding? I usually bump the highs of my EQ pedal when plugging in the Les Paul. Not too sure how to describe these things, but I like the sound of both. Best to try before buying, if possible.

Here's a comparison of the Jem/JS1200:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts