Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
didn't want to post an actual ad yet. just testing the water...

i have an RG1570 body which i'd like to turn into a complete guitar. considering a refinish but the condition now is great.

basically i need every part aside from the body and the pickups! as a logical progression, the next part i'd like to pick up would be an aanj neck, preferably prestige, preferably maple f/b, but open to ideas. does anyone have one for sale? have some some on that auction site, but they seem to be almost entirely RG270 necks. :(

the other major part which would have to be ibanez-specific would be the edge pro trem. i'm guessing it could be hard to get one of these given how new they are, right?

also, am i right in assuming that the right pickguard shape for an RG1570 would be the JEM77FP type with the large cut-out for the selector switch? or is it possible to simply fit an RG550 type? i'd like to go with a mirrored 'guard.

any ideas appreciated. :)

(sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. didn't want to place a WTB ad yet bcs i'm looking to spend in july)

·
Vendor
26,524 Posts
The reason these guys split these up for parts is because they can get at least twice what the whole guitar would sell for. Leaving you trying to rebuild a guitar from parts, costing twice what it's worth.....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i can follow the reasoning behind that.

the reason it made sense for me, though, is that
1) i'd just bought a new 7vwh from you and my wife would kill me if i bought another guitar right now, and
2) i want to do this one in stages over time and possibly personalise it a bit.

so it's bit like buying a guitar in instalments. with interest.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but it's not in any of our interests for her to find out, is it?

you get your profit out of me, i get my next guitar, and the wife thinks i'm terribly clever. it's a win/win/win situation!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
damo7v said:
didn't want to post an actual ad yet. just testing the water...

i have an RG1570 body which i'd like to turn into a complete guitar. considering a refinish but the condition now is great.

basically i need every part aside from the body and the pickups! as a logical progression, the next part i'd like to pick up would be an aanj neck, preferably prestige, preferably maple f/b, but open to ideas. does anyone have one for sale? have some some on that auction site, but they seem to be almost entirely RG270 necks. :(

the other major part which would have to be ibanez-specific would be the edge pro trem. i'm guessing it could be hard to get one of these given how new they are, right?

also, am i right in assuming that the right pickguard shape for an RG1570 would be the JEM77FP type with the large cut-out for the selector switch? or is it possible to simply fit an RG550 type? i'd like to go with a mirrored 'guard.

any ideas appreciated. :)

(sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. didn't want to place a WTB ad yet bcs i'm looking to spend in july)
Here's my suggestion... find an RG with a totally trashed body with everything else workable. It shouldn't cost much if the body is totally thrashed. Buy it an switch out bodies. Honestly, going the slow part-by-part way is ridiculously expensive unless you can manufacture new parts or recondition really beat up stuff.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jem7vwh said:
Here's my suggestion... find an RG with a totally trashed body with everything else workable. It shouldn't cost much if the body is totally thrashed. Buy it an switch out bodies. Honestly, going the slow part-by-part way is ridiculously expensive unless you can manufacture new parts or recondition really beat up stuff.
hmmm. well, my manufacturing skills are in the toilet.

i like your idea, but the body i have is routed for the edge pro.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I found that I never had the guts to ask my wife, "how pissed are you?"...

There is thus no such thing as "twice as pissed"

If you think you're gonna piss her off anyway, I say, just do it, get it over with!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts