Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing for about 2 Years, and ive had a WalMart First Act tele copy i ditched as soon as i could, a Schecter Gryphon that was beat to hell, And an early 90's Charvel 475 that wasnt exactly well maintained.

Im looking for something with a fixed bridge, and preferably something with good upper fret reach. I want something simple and versatile. Im looking for quality but used isnt really an issue for me. My price range is around $650. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
593 Posts
at 2 yrs of playing
don't spend anymore than $350.00
you will never know the difference, IMHO
buy a used mexi strat have a experienced player check the neck for you to make sure is straight they are pretty consistant.
2 yrs from now load it with some decent pick ups
good luck
cp

·
Registered
109 Posts
Imho, It's better to spend a lot of money once than buying first $250 then $400 then $600 and after all that $1xxx.

I think it's much wiser to get enough money for a really good guitar as soon as possible and skip all the medicore stuff as you save A LOT of money and time selling all the crappy guitars back. I bought an Aria strat for $200 5 years ago, and waited until I could get an RG570 and it was absolutely worth it,

I'd suggest you read a couple of essential info about various pickups and body types and then just go out and try out every guitar that strikes you and ask the shop assistant what is the setup so you get some insight into it. And buy the one you like the most :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
at 2 yrs of playing
don't spend anymore than $350.00
you will never know the difference, IMHO
buy a used mexi strat have a experienced player check the neck for you to make sure is straight they are pretty consistant.
2 yrs from now load it with some decent pick ups
good luck
cp
I don't think time matters when it comes to quality and sound in guitars, any layman can tell the diffence between comfortable and uncomfortable, bad sounding and good sounding and so on. I say get an RG, you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
174 Posts
go for the best you can, MIJ RG's will be in your price range and they ****ing rip. you'l lalso have enough money for some aftermarket dimarzio/Seymour Duncan/EMG's/Bareknuckle's.

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
I agree with what prydogga and Fredjo have said, you can tell what's comfortable to you regardless of how long you've been playing and it's better to make a big investment at this stage rather than an intermediate level guitar so look to be spending your maximum budget of $650. You'll get the returns on the money in terms of enjoyment over the next year or so anyway :D

I know you said you wanted a fixed bridge, so from Ibanez's range you'll belooking for things like the RG321, 421 or similar.

Personally, I'd be lookiing to find a used RG500 (RG550/560 or 570) series or a newer equivalent such as the RG1550 or RG2550 and blocking off the trem.

With regards to pickups, I always think a good bridge pickup on a rock guitar is the most important thing to look at and whilst the standard RG pickups are "ok" look to budget for at least a new bridge pickups from one of the companies that william1993 mentions.

Good luck and let us know what you go for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey man!

You need to get out and play some different guitars. $650 is good amount of cash to invest, you've got a lot of choices. I would head down to your local shop and try out everything!

But... I don't think you could go wrong with an RG, very versatile!

Good luck and you'll have to post some pics of your new axe!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts