Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is SO beyond strange, but, I just had a Steve's Special pickup installed in my RG652QS (the Rich Harris limited run), and although it is subtle, I noticed what almost feels like I'm playing with a bit of foam resting on the strings at the point the strings exit out of the bridge. Really odd analogy, but it almost feels like I accidentally left a polishing cloth over the bridge, the transients feel soft and the notes seem to lack sustain, die out almost like a noise gate set too aggressively. Everything looks fine, not sure where to start troubleshooting this with my meter, and I definitely don't want to rewire the entire guitar if I don't have to. If I pick harder than normal I can seem to get it to sound ok, as in, close enough to my other guitar that has a Steve's Special in it, but it's so odd, as I don't hear any loss of high or low frequencies, just feels like I'm playing with a kind of mute over the strings.

First thing I'll do is change the strings, maybe polish the frets, but this is an odd effect to come out of a pickup change. Any ideas on where to start?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What was causing it?
Corrosion UNDER the strings. Here in Arizona strings don't really corrode or rust, so upon visual inspection, the strings looked fine, but I slid my finger underneath them and felt the telltale corrosion you sometimes get. Surprising how much that killed the note/sustain. I still have it in my head that it's still not 100% and that there is "something" wrong, but nah, I played it for 2hrs last night sounds great. I think I am also coming to terms with the fact that even though I love the Steve's Special pickup, the low-cut of the Satchur8 is still kind of my thing, and something I've got very used to, now, and kind of miss a little in this guitar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Corrosion UNDER the strings. Here in Arizona strings don't really corrode or rust, so upon visual inspection, the strings looked fine, but I slid my finger underneath them and felt the telltale corrosion you sometimes get. Surprising how much that killed the note/sustain. I still have it in my head that it's still not 100% and that there is "something" wrong, but nah, I played it for 2hrs last night sounds great. I think I am also coming to terms with the fact that even though I love the Steve's Special pickup, the low-cut of the Satchur8 is still kind of my thing, and something I've got very used to, now, and kind of miss a little in this guitar.
How long do you use a set of strings for/ what type of strings? I have left strings on for long durations of time with no corrosion. To my knowledge most of them are nickel wound/coated which is not at risk of regular environmental corrosion? Just Curious :)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
How long do you use a set of strings for/ what type of strings? I have left strings on for long durations of time with no corrosion. To my knowledge most of them are nickel wound/coated which is not at risk of regular environmental corrosion? Just Curious :)
String life can greatly depend on how you care for them... If you play with clean hands, clean your strings/fretboard, etc, you can get a lot of life out of a set of strings. Even more so with coated strings like Elixirs. I have afew guitars that don't get played very often and they've had the same set of Elixirs on them for a few years now. On the flip side, my nephew played my old acoustic a few times when he was visiting and the strings turned green after a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
String life can greatly depend on how you care for them... If you play with clean hands, clean your strings/fretboard, etc, you can get a lot of life out of a set of strings. Even more so with coated strings like Elixirs. I have afew guitars that don't get played very often and they've had the same set of Elixirs on them for a few years now. On the flip side, my nephew played my old acoustic a few times when he was visiting and the strings turned green after a couple of weeks!
Honestly, those strings were original, so, 4 or 5 years old 😁 I have a lot of guitars and play a lot, but not always the same guitar. I wash my hands before playing, I'm militant about that. Funny though, I already have visible fretwear on that guitar as I play it a ton (2-3hrs a day, well, when it's the guitar I've picked), but the strings still looked shiny on top. Though when I ran my finger underneath I could feel the clumps of oxidized nickel alloy over each spot that touches the frets. I usually don't change strings until I break one, or until they feel rough on top, but that just didn't happen this time. And yeah, I get an incredible amount of life out of my strings, enough that I forget that they are even a consumable part 😆

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Honestly, those strings were original, so, 4 or 5 years old 😁 I have a lot of guitars and play a lot, but not always the same guitar. I wash my hands before playing, I'm militant about that. Funny though, I already have visible fretwear on that guitar as I play it a ton (2-3hrs a day, well, when it's the guitar I've picked), but the strings still looked shiny on top. Though when I ran my finger underneath I could feel the clumps of oxidized nickel alloy over each spot that touches the frets. I usually don't change strings until I break one, or until they feel rough on top, but that just didn't happen this time. And yeah, I get an incredible amount of life out of my strings, enough that I forget that they are even a consumable part 😆
Back in AZ they did last longer than they do here in Kansas... Fingers crossed, as I'm coming to AZ next week and hopefully my dad's Epiphone semi-acoustic guitar strings are not too nasty so we can jam a little. Guess I could bring a pack of strings along just in case...:whistle:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts