Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my '88 Jem Rootbeer neck. As I cannot go anywhere close to try out a JS model will I like the Satriani neck profile? How different is it? Can you compare it to any other neck profiles as I have owned and do own quite a few different companies and would like to compare. Is it close to any other Ibanez neck profiles?
thanks

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
It's like a slimmed down 60s strat neck to best describe it. 9.5 radius, fatter than the Jem, so you tell me if you will like it :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
don't know if this is a good description, but I play a Jem7vwh, and when I played the JS1200 and JS1000, the neck to be seems to be a lot rounder, as others have said, its more strat like, I find with the JS series, I get a better grip when bending strings than the Jem.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
lespaulreedsmith said:
so more of a v profile or rounder? :)
It's not a V. It's a C shape neck, and slimmer than the 60s Fender necks so you can still shred on it. It has a blues-guitar feel with low action.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
To me it's quite like an older Jem neck but you do notice that it's a thinner nut width quite easily, I've got loads of JSes and none of them have V shaped necks, all are nice and round and smooth.

the old bigger fatter JEM necks are certainly more like the JS necks than they are the modern, skinny super wizards.

I have no problems going between a JEM and a JS :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It's definitely not a V, and much more round than a Jem (or Wizard, for that matter). I have an RG421 (Wizard II) and the JS is way more strat-ish, though not as thick as the strats I've played.

In summary, I don't think that liking a Jem neck automatically means you'll like a JS neck.

But I have a JS, an RG421 w/ a Wizard II, an SC420 w/ an S-Classic (?) neck, and an RG1527 7 string w/ Prestige Wizard, and I play the best I possibly can, on all necks. Sure, some are better for tapping, others for bending.

But if you're like me, the JS would simply be another tool on your belt, another brush to paint with.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
It reminded me quite a lot of a modern strat profile, just a little slimmer and rounder. I'm not familiar with the old-style JEM neck, but it's definitely got more to it...

-D

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
shredfreak said:
I think it's more rounder but it's based on v-shape, but i am not sure. I haven't played js.
Nah, it's no V. I think it's a slimmed down version deep C so it has the vintage C feel on a modern C fatness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts