Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what gauge do people use for their low Bs, mine came with a standard 9-52 set on, but i beffed it up a bit to a 54, but still not entirely happy, what bottom would people recommend i try (to save the hassle of trial end error haha)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ibanezrocker61 said:
I've been using 60's and 62's for a couple years now, never had problems with tuning and intonation etc. Thats just me tho :)
what do you use for the rest of the guitar, and if you went up to a kinda 10-46 with 60 on the bottom did you find that you needed to do anything to the trem interms of adding springs/changing to arrow config?

·
Registered
300 Posts
timi_h said:
what do you use for the rest of the guitar, and if you went up to a kinda 10-46 with 60 on the bottom did you find that you needed to do anything to the trem interms of adding springs/changing to arrow config?
Yup they are 10's, on my 7620, the edges only allow for 3 springs so it has 3, the claw is basically almost all the way tightened, i put the trem tilted back just a little.. no problems at all. on my 7420, I have 5 springs, claw is 3/4 in, bridge tilted back a little, also no problems. On my Jackson 7's (two DR7's), they are the ones with t.o.m./string-thru bridges.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
JTM,
The tension is just right for me actually.
I bought my PWH from Rich and he set it up mint. How he does it? I'd like to know.
My RG 7620 has had numerous various gauged strings so the trem has been messed with alot and finally its back to normal. I had a tech from a music store set it up and it's nowhere near as good as Rich's set-up.
My S 7420 has had 9's ever since I bought it. It was straight from the factory and the set-up again is nowhere near as good as Rich's set-up.;)

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
It's not too bad for me. I do prefer a .56 every now and then on my 7620 but since I've stocked up on .52s,
I haven't bought any .56s for a while.
I generally dont play rough as I used to when I was playing just metal so the tension is just right for me. ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
D'Darrio 9-46 (its a hybrid set, EXL125),and a 56 for the B.

Think about it
D - 26
A - 36
E - 46
B - ? Take a guess.
The perfect match for a well balanced guitar.

If i have the B dropped to A, then i replace with a 59, only cause D'Darrio doesn't make 58's.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Awake77 said:
Ive been play GHS 7L Boomers and I love 'em...009-058
In the interst of conveniance I play Elixer 9-56's, but straight out of the package, those are my favorite set of 7-string strings - great tone, and the only 9-42's with a .58 I've found standard. :)

-D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts