Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my second Ibanez (my first premium) and I've noticed something while comparing it to my other 7 string, which is an iron label. It seems that the lowest string is really close to the fretboard edge. It seems the string is far enough from the edge as it gets closer to the body, but the first 5 frets or so it seems close to the edge. I've looked at multiple other people complaining about other guitars having this problem. Some say it's a problem with the neck sitting a sideways in the pocket, others say it could be the nut etc. This is only my second Ibanez so it could just be how they're made and it's just different than my iron label. I would just like some opinions on the matter and to see if I'm overthinking something or if it's something I can help by setting up the guitar correctly. If it comes to it I'll use the warranty as I just bought it from guitar center and had it shipped to me, so that should be an option.

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/c1iuM4

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I agree with peramucho7. It does look as though the problem is your nut. The high E string tracks perfectly down the neck, so i can't see how it would be the neck not sitting correctly in the neck pocket.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
It's only a problem if you find yourself slipping off the fretboard during play. Is that what's happening?

If not, then it's cosmetic and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you ARE slipping off, then do what other's suggested: consider changing the nut (if the guitar is a keeper) or return it. I had a guitar once with this issue... where I would constantly slide off the edge of the fretboard even with normal fretting, and it was absolutely maddening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.