Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear about how low the offers are people get when they are selling something on Reverb but no one ever says how low the offer actually was or what the seller was asking for the item. Does anyone have any personal stories/examples of low ball offers they have received?

·
Registered
34 Posts
How about low ball offers I have given? Lol.
I offered 1k on a 1300 ask due to the guitar being permanently modified. Other times I have offered what I am willing to pay. And I just did a CL deal and gave just what was asked. Why? Because it was a fair deal AND ( this is important) the guitar was EXACTLY as described in the ad. Too many times I make the trek to check out an "excellent" condition guitar only to find out its not even close. Pictures, especially from a distance, can only convey so much.
Lie to me you get low balled. Ask a stratospheric price more than the guitar is worth you get low balled. Be a dick about negotiating you get low balled even lower than the price in my head.
So these are some things in the head of a buyer.
Entertain all offers you can always say no. I dont get angry. People are going to people. As the seller you have control over wether or not you accept the offer, why get pissed about it?

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
This is a favourite topic of mine but I've NEVER managed to get to the bottom of, quantitatively, what is a "low ball" offer.

Heck, even qualitatively, is it relative to the asking price, the market value, or what?

Let's talk Low-Ball!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recently listed a bass guitar on a local site with an asking price of €800, minimum of €750, and multiple people offered bids like €150. Needles to say I sold it yesterday for €750. Some of them even tried to convince me their bid was realistic after contacting them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I don't get upset if someone gives me a low offer... Never hurts to ask! But selling a cheap Ibanez and asking $200, I declined offers of $140 and $150 that came from Reverb resellers. "So and So's gear Depot", etc... Then I got a plea from a real nice guy with good communication and sold it cheap to him. I think most of the time that I've got "lowball" offers it has been from Reverb sellers looking to flip gear?

Most of the time on decent quality gear offers are pretty reasonable... It seems like the low end cheap stuff get lowballed more often, at least in my limited experience on Reverb.

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is a favourite topic of mine but I've NEVER managed to get to the bottom of, quantitatively, what is a "low ball" offer.

Heck, even qualitatively, is it relative to the asking price, the market value, or what?

Let's talk Low-Ball!!
good question...actually a great question...as someone who has never paid more than 800 for any guitar (i have a jem 7vwh) i think my entire collection would be considered "low ball" lol...i usually pay between 150-400 on average for each...now, be aware, i don't go for pristine instruments as i know i will add dings myself (not on purpose)...most of mine have various dents, dings etc and generally don't look awesome, but they are fully functional instruments that play well and sound good...when i see one, i know what i'm willing to pay and usually i just remain patient until the price is what i am willing to pay...for example i gave 450 for an 89 dark gray rg570dx (he wanted 500 but let me have it for 450) and the red rg760 i recently got, he asked 350 but i gave him 400 as we both had to drive 1.5 hours each way to meet for the deal and gas is expensive plus it was worth it to me...every deal is different...

but yeah, low ball, to me means well below perceived market value...d.m.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently listed a bass guitar on a local site with an asking price of €800, minimum of €750, and multiple people offered bids like €150. Needles to say I sold it yesterday for €750. Some of them even tried to convince me their bid was realistic after contacting them. :rolleyes:
This is what I was thinking constitutes a “low ball offer,” by a good margin.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
In the current market of economic instability/inflation, it would be interesting to know what qualifies as a low-ball offer on something :unsure:. It's been ages since I bought anything other than strings so interested to read what people say.

To me, at least, people seem to be asking pretty high prices on Treeverb these days. I tend to keep an eye on older Ibanez stuff, so that's mostly what I'm going on; I'm less familiar with other brands, though some (like Gibson, Fender, PRS) are more stable in holding their value anyway. As an example, I've seen people ask up to $400-500 for some of the EX models from the 90s. Granted, some of the higher end ones are well spec'd, but they were conceived as budget friendly guitars overall, and certainly the pickups and hardware they have reflects that. You can surely find a Japanese RG for those prices in local classifieds. It's certainly possible to find deals even on the big sale platforms, though you have to be looking constantly and be patient.

If I see something I really want, I'm prepared to pay a bit more, even if it'll mean putting in some work on my end when I receive it. I paid $400 for my PL over a decade ago, which was kinda average for the particular model at the time and it needed work. But, I wanted it, also since they don't come up often. I was immediately happy with it when it arrived, and had no qualms about investing some more to fix it up.

I've never low-balled any other guitars I bought online, simply because I was buying at a good time and the stuff wasn't so desirable.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Reverb prices are silly. But it's model encourages the seller to list for a high price and the buyer to negotiate down.

eBay a little more varied.

Local classifieds there are still good deals out there.

I've seen the local second hand stores really inflate their prices the last few years though. I think because they're basing values from reverb list prices not sold prices.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Let's talk Low-Ball!!
I think for me a Low Ball offer is someone who is after few things.

1.) They are just trying to troll you as the seller and have no interest in buying your item. They are just in it for kicks. 2.) they are genuinely trying to get something for nothing. I've seen this many times, especially when you put "price is firm" and inevitably get that one smooth brain that just has to make an offer and it's a low ball offer at that. And then 3.) I think a lot of people are just cheap. Never under estimate how cheap someone can be, especially when dealing with higher priced items. If they have to haggle hard or low ball, then they probably can't afford what they are trying to buy. And these are usually the guy's trying to get something so cheap, that they won't get in trouble with their wives when they find out they bought something. Which brings me to the second point of number 3, is if you have to ask permission to buy it, you can't afford it.

I've dealt with people in the past that get buyer's remorse or got a spanking for buying something they shouldn't have, and then want to return something.

Then you get people who come to buy something that's a "used item" and 20-25 years old, and they are expecting something off the showroom floor. These are the biggest losers that you'll run across, or at least I have. I've told guys, if you want something that is blemish free, it's called "go buy it new" from Guitar Center or whatever your favorite store is. If it's listed as "used" expect swirls, scratches, dings, blemishes and general use, especially on an instrument.

Reverb prices are silly. But it's model encourages the seller to list for a high price and the buyer to negotiate down.

eBay a little more varied.

Local classifieds there are still good deals out there.

I've seen the local second hand stores really inflate their prices the last few years though. I think because they're basing values from reverb list prices not sold prices.
I agree with this, because of Reverb's ridiculous fees. They are worse than Ebay when it comes time to collect for fees. I just recently sold a Ovation YM68k on Reverb. I had to pay a Processing Fee, a Selling Fee, Tax Remitted(no way around that) gotta love paying taxes on something "USED" again!, and then Bump Fee. In all total, I ended up paying close to $200 in fees.

And this doesn't even factor in shipping. Like everything else that has gone up, so has shipping. I now have to put a mandatory shipping/handling cost of $125 for any guitar that is in a hard case. That is what UPS charges. This is even worse when you get "likes to haggle the price of everything" guy, and he wants you to eat the shipping.

So what do most people do on Reverb? Crank the price to offset the costs. And what's worse with Reverb, is they don't even have a customer service number to call, you have to wait for an email from a customer representative. At least when I call Ebay, I get to speak with someone right away.

I agree, local ads are the way to go, except you don't get the exposure or audience reach that Ebay or Reverb provide. Also, pawn stores and brick and mortars are good places to find deals.

Now that's the only place I can honestly say it's acceptable to try and low ball is a Pawn Store. Those places are crooks to begin with, so they deserve to get jived on their prices.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I think for me a Low Ball offer is someone who is after few things.

1.) They are just trying to troll you as the seller and have no interest in buying your item. They are just in it for kicks. 2.) they are genuinely trying to get something for nothing. I've seen this many times, especially when you put "price is firm" and inevitably get that one smooth brain that just has to make an offer and it's a low ball offer at that. And then 3.) I think a lot of people are just cheap. Never under estimate how cheap someone can be, especially when dealing with higher priced items. If they have to haggle hard or low ball, then they probably can't afford what they are trying to buy. And these are usually the guy's trying to get something so cheap, that they won't get in trouble with their wives when they find out they bought something. Which brings me to the second point of number 3, is if you have to ask permission to buy it, you can't afford it.

I've dealt with people in the past that get buyer's remorse or got a spanking for buying something they shouldn't have, and then want to return something.

Then you get people who come to buy something that's a "used item" and 20-25 years old, and they are expecting something off the showroom floor. These are the biggest losers that you'll run across, or at least I have. I've told guys, if you want something that is blemish free, it's called "go buy it new" from Guitar Center or whatever your favorite store is. If it's listed as "used" expect swirls, scratches, dings, blemishes and general use, especially on an instrument.

I agree with this, because of Reverb's ridiculous fees. They are worse than Ebay when it comes time to collect for fees. I just recently sold a Ovation YM68k on Reverb. I had to pay a Processing Fee, a Selling Fee, Tax Remitted(no way around that) gotta love paying taxes on something "USED" again!, and then Bump Fee. In all total, I ended up paying close to $200 in fees.

And this doesn't even factor in shipping. Like everything else that has gone up, so has shipping. I now have to put a mandatory shipping/handling cost of $125 for any guitar that is in a hard case. That is what UPS charges. This is even worse when you get "likes to haggle the price of everything" guy, and he wants you to eat the shipping.

So what do most people do on Reverb? Crank the price to offset the costs. And what's worse with Reverb, is they don't even have a customer service number to call, you have to wait for an email from a customer representative. At least when I call Ebay, I get to speak with someone right away.

I agree, local ads are the way to go, except you don't get the exposure or audience reach that Ebay or Reverb provide. Also, pawn stores and brick and mortars are good places to find deals.

Now that's the only place I can honestly say it's acceptable to try and low ball is a Pawn Store. Those places are crooks to begin with, so they deserve to get jived on their prices.
I totally agree with you on the pawn shops. I went in to pawn a bass I had. It was an FSR American made J bass with chainsaw case. It cost 800 or so new, was practically new, and was mint. Guy wouldn’t let me pawn it for more than 100 bucks.

He tried to buy it from me for 250. I told him to at least kiss me before he proceeds to **** me, and left. I sold it to a local music store for 600 dollars, as it was a really cool hard to get finish and I felt that 600 was quite generous as they have to make money when they went to sell it. This was back in the nineties.

Pawn shops are the scummiest. They screw the sellers, who are desperate) by paying next to nothing for their items, and then sell them at ridiculously high prices

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree that offering 200 on a 1000 ask is low ball. I would never do something like that.
But I have to differ on the just playing games thing. If I make an offer its legit. I have the pile of sweaty money in my hand and am dying to give it to you. Thats why I made the offer. Also a difference between lightly used and heavy use. If I am looking at an older JS model and the ask is 1500 but I have to put money into it, fret work, polishing the paint to get the swirls and scratches out etc. Dont expect me to pay what you are asking. For a few bucks more I can find a better specimen. If you have played the snot out of the guitar and the case looks like a gorilla tested its abilities to protect the guitar then expect low ball offer. If you are asking anywhere near what an excellent condition guitar is going for why in the world would I want your beat git? Now a grand less? We can talk.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I suppose this is a rather complex topic. One buyers low ball offer might be a sellers opportunity to move a “difficult to sell“ guitar. Or they may take it as a personal insult. If you combine a "likes to haggle the price of everything" guy/gal with a “doesn’t like to haggle the price of anything” guy/gal, any offer will feel like a low ball offer.
I miss the days when “trading” was much more common. At the very least, the deals that were made had the potential to be really interesting especially if multiple items were involved.
I didn’t want to start another thread so I’l post this here. This guitar was available for 5 hours yesterday before it sold:
It is an LACS RG 8 with Edge bridge from 2005 which was 2 years before the RG2228 was released. You guys know a lot, any idea who this might have been made for?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I bought an Ibanez AE405TV from a seller on Reverb. I had made him an offer of $425 altogether including shipping. He had it priced at $599.00 plus $65 for shipping.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

I simply explained that was all the money I had at the moment, and that my sister, now departed, had one just like it at one time, and it would be a total Nostalgia trip for me. He had it listed on Reverb for 2 years, and agreed to my price. Had the original case too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree that offering 200 on a 1000 ask is low ball. I would never do something like that.
But I have to differ on the just playing games thing. If I make an offer its legit. I have the pile of sweaty money in my hand and am dying to give it to you. Thats why I made the offer. Also a difference between lightly used and heavy use. If I am looking at an older JS model and the ask is 1500 but I have to put money into it, fret work, polishing the paint to get the swirls and scratches out etc. Dont expect me to pay what you are asking. For a few bucks more I can find a better specimen. If you have played the snot out of the guitar and the case looks like a gorilla tested its abilities to protect the guitar then expect low ball offer. If you are asking anywhere near what an excellent condition guitar is going for why in the world would I want your beat git? Now a grand less? We can talk.
I think used is subjective to a lot of people. For me I break it down into two areas. "Used" and "Condition" of the instrument. You can get a "used" guitar in excellent "condition" or you can find a "used" guitar in "poor" condition.

I look at condition more than anything else when purchasing. However, I know that buying used guitars always comes with caveats. Anything that is listed as used, has to be treated as such. I don't know why a lot of people buy something used and for a good deal and expect to get something like it just rolled off of Ibanez's factory floor.

I think what is driving a lot of this mentality is the prices of today and the market. The market has gone up(for a litany of reasons) and driven the prices of all kinds of things up. But what hasn't gone up and moved with the markets is buyer mentality. You still have people trying to get something for nothing and they won't change their mindset. Some people change their mindset and realize that the market and value of things has moved on. Case in point, back in the late 90's you couldn't give away RG550's. I owned three of them, and thanks to many factors back in the day the most I paid was $500 for a black one. I had a Road Flare Red one, signed by George Lynch that I snagged for $375 at a local music store that couldn't sell it for months. Grunge was big and big 80's guitars weren't. So I snatched them up, now I'm kicking myself all these years later considering what original Ibanez RG550's go for. Now if I found one of those again today, it's not fair for me to think that I'm going to be paying the $375 that I did back in the late 90's and early 2000's, and mine were in excellent condition back then. Now I see them going for $1000 and in not the greatest conditions. But even if you found one in very good condition and the price is $900, it's a total d-bag move to offer someone $375 for it. Even if that means a re-fret and upgrading some electronics. Those are just costs you're going to have to eat.

Now, I'm with you on if someone is asking and exorbitant amount for a guitar that is a total pile. For me, I just move on and let the seller sit on it. I think price should reflect condition and to a point it does. Unless you move into the realm of vintage stuff that no matter the condition the price will be high(for me vintage is 70's and older).

Cases on the other hand for me, are never a big consideration as far as condition goes. I look at the inside more than the outside and I always look at it as a bonus if a guitar is offered with one, regardless of condition. I'll take a beat down hard case over a new gig bag any day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting reading:) My personal feeling is: a "low-ball" offer is more than 15-20% off the asking price. If I get a low ball offer, I don't get mad(I don't blame anyone for trying for a better deal), I just don't even reply. When I make a low ball offer, I make that offer but ad that I am not offended if they pass, and hope they aren't offended by the offer, but its all I can afford at the moment. so far, that has not gotten me any hurtful replies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a 00 RG 470 for $600 including the hard case, and it was in great condition with minor defects. The seller was asking $800. (This is in CAD btw so dont be alarmed by the price). I think being a reasonable and genuine person when trying to be something, make it easier for someone to let a low ball slide.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I still think a hardcase beat to shniz(ripped tolex, bent or missing latches, etc) is reason to offer less. I will take a pristine gig bag over a beat case any day. Its presentation. If I see the case not taken care of I assume the guitar inside did not get taken care of either.
Just me though.
With so many guitars out there I can afford to wait it out and find my price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I still think a hardcase beat to shniz(ripped tolex, bent or missing latches, etc) is reason to offer less. I will take a pristine gig bag over a beat case any day. Its presentation. If I see the case not taken care of I assume the guitar inside did not get taken care of either.
Just me though.
With so many guitars out there I can afford to wait it out and find my price.
See I like stuff that is beat up. Why? It's got mojo and loads of "it" factor. No telling the kinds of stories it might tell if it could. Could the condition it's in be from neglect or could it be from lots of playing? One can never know. For me, presentation is for models and job interviews. Not a reflection of what stories a guitar has to tell. I look at the guitar as an extension of yourself. As we age, we have more blems and scars. Do I like a nice clean and well taken care of guitar, sure. Do I look the other way over one that's been heavily used, not really. Unless something is actually broke(i.e. headstock) the rest I can live with.

I bought a 1996 American Standard that has been worked over pretty good. Lots of dings, lots of scratches, some paint chips(it even smells smoky). Lots of life and lots of mojo in that guitar. It's a guitar that I just love to pick up and play. Feels like an old pair of work gloves that have some oils/greases worked in, with untold hours of moving block and shoveling rock. Just well worked in, and it just fits when you put them on.

It's probably why I tend to move and sell more of my guitars that I acquire that are in very good and excellent condition. Sure they fetch a higher price because of condition. But they really don't mean anything to me either. I can never part with that old 96 American Strat that I have. The same goes for my Malmsteen strats(2005 maple, 2006 rosewood). They're old and have paint chips, scratches and dings. But for me, I pick them up and can't put them down. I've got a new Player Stratocaster(which is miles ahead of the old Mexican strats, the new mexican Player's are easily on par with USA's of the 90's), it's nice but it sits on the rack and I don't play it.

The only brand new guitar that I've super bonded with, is my JS2410. My 2450 is used and I absolutely love it as well. I've also got an old 99 RG7620 that is pure ugly. It's been beat down bad but I love playing it. The thing is, some of my old guitars I have came with cases that reflected both ends of the spectrum. Both my Malmsteen's came in good condition tweed cases. My American Strat came in some busted SKB case that looks like it was tied to a rope and drug behind a pickup truck. I've gotten cases that were broke and I repaired them. Just a little bit of know how.

I will only say this about gig bags. If I get a new one I'll hang onto it just because it's easy to throw a guitar in one of those verse a hardcase(all of my hardcases are stored in my garage ceiling). But if I get a gigbag that is beat up, it goes right in the trash.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts