Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These tuners are steel thumbscrews that screw into the alloy base-plate, operate under a fair amount of load, and get used quite a lot.

My concern is that the threads in the base-plate will wear; and this will be difficult/expensive to repair.

The obvious answer is to lubricate them.

Anyone do this ? How ? What do you use ?

·
Registered
547 Posts
These tuners are steel thumbscrews that screw into the alloy base-plate, operate under a fair amount of load, and get used quite a lot.

My concern is that the threads in the base-plate will wear; and this will be difficult/expensive to repair.

The obvious answer is to lubricate them.

Anyone do this ? How ? What do you use ?
You're overthinking this dramatically, I have fine tuning thumbscrews on Floyd Rose and Kahler trems from the mid-eighties which show absolutely no signs of wear despite no lubrication in nearly 35 years. Any lube you put on there will act like a magnet for fine dust and grit and the load is actually very small. I'm speaking as an engineer, not an artist.

Better coming to terms with your own mortality than worrying about that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're overthinking this dramatically, I have fine tuning thumbscrews on Floyd Rose and Kahler trems from the mid-eighties which show absolutely no signs of wear despite no lubrication in nearly 35 years. Any lube you put on there will act like a magnet for fine dust and grit and the load is actually very small. I'm speaking as an engineer, not an artist.

Better coming to terms with your own mortality than worrying about that.
You appear to know me worryingly well...

I do tune a lot, though...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts