Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi
I rarely use any other guitar since I got my 1600.. VOS 57, Strats, ESP Eclipse, Valley arts strat, Fender Talon II... ...all mostly are on the stand these days....so to irritate u all a bit I gonna tell u current plan :) I live parttime in Antipolo Phillipines and my Luthier here is building a replica of the 1600 to a fraction of the price of the real one..they use mahogany as firewood here.. hehe ... if this turns out well we will build a serie... 7string, singlecoil, P90 and we are talking about putting on a flamed maple top.. spray it Honey burst, glue a mahogany neck to it on one also.... NezPaul :) I'll post our progress here... the first is maybe ready in October... he is a president of a BIG Company and do this as a hobby...don't neeed the money ..right.. his son makes the pickups and I can tell u ..those P90's pickups sound second to none... barks and growls like a rabies dog :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
komusta ka?

I will give updates on Tuesday evening after I meet him... and of course the project exist even if u cant's see it,,, u need to be nice if im goin to show it for u :) u live in Manila??

Lydian is the flavor of the day

·
Banned
153 Posts
No--I live in Texas, just been to PI several times.
will be moving there permanently in about 2 years.
I usually visit relatives in Binangonan, so I've been tru Antipolo several times.
I miss my Royal in the plastic bag with straw. .lol.

When I get there, I'll be opening my guitar shop.
We're thinking of Baguio or San Fernando city--much cooler up there.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh ..great . I will move here permanently in 4 years... pm me when u go next time.. would be cool to meet.. Baguio is almost like south Europe in climate.. but I really love Antipolo..best part of MNL .. nice air..no flooding and with the MRT its a blink an you're in Metro... but I rarely go.. to busy..
haven't tried Royal with a straw though :) rarely drink alcohol.. not my preferred flavor :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I mean used jem sold cheaper in philipines compare to singapore and malaysia
Thats what my friend from there say.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
instead of hunting down a overpriced RG .... just build your JEM here... have a vacation at the same time.. they got some amazing luthiers here... put an Ibanez logo on it... would be hard to tell difference.... it's gonna be real fun to show this one to the luthiers in this forum....

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
instead of hunting down a overpriced RG .... just build your JEM here... have a vacation at the same time.. they got some amazing luthiers here... put an Ibanez logo on it... would be hard to tell difference.... it's gonna be real fun to show this one to the luthiers in this forum....
What would make sense is to license these luthiers, and others around the world into small franchises to make custom one of a kind orders for Ibanez. Just like Fender got smart and made a deal with Japan to have some Squiers and Fenders built there to counteract the growing lawsuit era guitars, Ibanez should have others make them, too.

It's obvious that there are a ton of Ibby copies, and some of them pretty good, so it makes sense to cut into the black market by licensing other makers/luthiers. Few envisioned once rogue Japanese makers to legitimately work with Fender and later become Fender Japan, so it's time for Ibanez to act. It's not scary if the copies suck and others can easily tell the difference but when they get good which they are increasingly going to be, then many players will be fine with copies.

I have seen what appears to be unlicensed JS guitars built by a luthier and these seem as good or better than the real thing. They do other stuff too and this stuff is so GAS-worthy:

http://www.ramosguitars.com/en/category/custom-guitars/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
63blazer... you are spot on.. really great comment...the ramos build is the most obvious official copy I've seen ...lawsuit anyone ??? :) and when u see the Jems that some guys here build... well why by original if u can get a better one for the same price that is handbuilt.. ofcourse if u feel that the logo is important then go ahead and spend your money on the overpriced RG that it really is..... my JS1600 has a neckpocket that is not the tightest I've seen... 0.5 mm on one side...the luthier here say that if u cant lift the guitar in the neck when it is just pushed in the pocket...then it is to big :)

the pots feel kind of wimpy, the pickup selector also feels cheap compared to my LesPaul VOS 57 ... why save on that part???
yea they should licence a couple of luthiers here ..

... when u calculate the hardware on a JS1600 it is really crazy what they charge for the wood work made by CNC machines 8O ..I remember when the JS2 arrived... just oiled mahogany so no need for paintwork...still it was like 1100£ in sweden

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
met the man and his son yesterday, I can go public with the name: ARCEE guitars -Laguna..
so prject is ON... I'll order the hardware from Stewmac and send directly to him...he brought yesterday a PRS style hollow body with a wonderful neck, 45mm nut ... I remember tryin a Jackson Randy long time ago... it was kind of like that.... I loved it
slimness was like an old wizard neck, so now only the body will be JS replica , I also
do the headstock reverse ala AndyT hope u don't mind :) I love reverse Ibanez headstock
.. Mahogany body with Ash top.... bolt on that wonderful neck... rosewood with medium jumbo's, no DiMarzio's on this one... their own handwound pickups sound better than any factory pickups I've tried.... their singlecoils transform any strat US included... I tried a really nice metal axe his son made with their highoutput pickups... wonderful transparency and clarity even if very hot... I let him do one Paf with a little hotter output for the neck and then for bridge I let him have go at a Fred kind of sound..... they take orders...handwound pickups custommade to order for 2500PHP... beat that anyone :) I be happy to get u in contact with them..u will be amazed

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
63blazer... you are spot on.. really great comment...the ramos build is the most obvious official copy I've seen ...lawsuit anyone ??? :)
They are probably too small for Ibby to worry about. The headstock is possibly different enough to have the whole product get by. Most who don't know Ibanez will maybe just see a high quality, hand built superstrat that is legally on the market without crossing any lawyers.

Those of us who are Ibanez fans may see the full JS thing going on there and had Ramos been Gibson or Fender or Yamaha or ESP, then there's a possible lawsuit there.

The headstock may be the saving grace.

If not lawsuit, then licensing fees like the Edge paying over royalties onto Floyd Rose/Fender Musical Instruments. I think the ST models by ESP/LTD are pretty much strat all the way other than the headstock and I don't know if they pay off to Fender or if their design stands alone legally.

http://espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-guitar/st-series.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ESP got into trouble with the Eclipse I LesPaulish model..they actually had to change the vol&tone controls layout so on my ESP Eclipse II three's only 3 controls ..yea Ramos is propably to small and I think the body seems a bit longer than a JS... kinda like a Valley Arts Strat compared to a Fender

interesting that a Company that started as a copy maker now gets copied widely by Luthiers around the world... when I calculate the hardware for my ARCEE I can see how much I got robbed by Ibby for the woodwork made by CNC machines..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts