Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody!

I have bought a Mackie Spike Kit (XD-2 interface with Tracktion 2 Software) some time ago to get started with home recording.

The setup is just Guitar-> V-Amp Pro (1/4" TR connectors) -> Mackie XD2 (-> Computer).

I´m using AKG K141 Studio headphones to monitor my playing, usually attaching them to the phone out of the Mackie XD-2.

BUT yesterday I plugged the phones right into my V-Amp for practicing, and the sound was much brighter than what came out of the Mackie´s phone out?! And, in comparison to the V-Amp´s phone out, the recorded sounds through the Mackie are also damped.

I did not now until yesterday, because I had never compared that.

EQ on the Mackie is turned off. High pass filter is engaged, adjustable Low Pass is off.

I´ve yet to buy a cable to hook the V-Amp up digitally, or maybe balanced XLR connectors, for a comparison; I hope that the source of the problem might be the unbalanced TR connectors I´m using right now.

Could this be the problem? Or is it just that the Mackie is a crappy POS ???
:confused: :(

Oh, BTW:

Tracktion 2 is brilliant. Very intuitive. I can only recommend it if you´re starting with home recording, and once you get accustomed to all of its´ functions, it is very powerful as well.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If your recording is not bright enough, try one with the high filter on the Spike OFF, that's what a high pass filter does, it rolls off high end.

I totally agree on Tracktion, I'm using it over Logic now.

Roger

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rgr said:
If your recording is not bright enough, try one with the high filter on the Spike OFF, that's what a high pass filter does, it rolls off high end.

I totally agree on Tracktion, I'm using it over Logic now.

Roger
Thanks for the answer, but... I thought a high-pass filter lets the higher frequencies pass and attenuates the low freqs, helping to get rid of excess low-end rumble?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.