Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://madhatterguitarproducts.com/collections/artist-terminator-systems/products/evo

Is this a worthy upgrade for an Ibanez Jem. Will I really get a better tone with this kit than my existing components which are all quite new with good quality pots, VLX91 switch, orange drop cap, treble bleed and everything pro soldered and wired.
Anyone who can share some opinions on this?:)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Probably not noticeable, but I think there is some added functions with the push pull pot, not exactly sure what it is.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Definitely let us know. It is nice and neat, if I was rebuilding a guitar I would definitely consider ordering one. I was just saying that if the electronics are already pretty new and working fine, I wouldn't replace them. But, since you are going to, it will be good to hear if you can tell a difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few months later I finally got a few hours of spare time left to install this Terminator EVO kit in my Jem 7DBK:)
Easy to install, but... the volume pot is huge! Way too huge. it’s so long that it wont let me install the pickguard to the body.
To fix this problem I need to do some routing in the cavity and I don’t really like to do this and don’t have the tools for it either.
3-4mm of material needs to be removed in the cavity for the volume pot to fit.

Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you can see the problem here.
Now I managed to mount the pickguard.
I can’t lower the volume pot any further because it’s right now touching the wood.
The problem is reported to Mad Hatter and it seems to be certain production year from Ibanez having this problem.
I thought about routing the body cavity, but honestly I can’t really hear or feel a difference in the tone and I have no benefit with the push/pull volume pot, so I will reinstall the previous components. The previous components are quite new so maybe thats why there was no tone difference. Need to get myself new volume and tone knob first because I needed to enlarge the holes in them.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
i'm thinking of ordering and installing a Mad Hatter kit into my RG8520 J Custom....mainly because i just swapped a Dimarzio Fusion Edge for a Tone Zone (bad DIY solder job :( ) and I'd also like to install a push/push splitter on the volume pot, and stick a mini killswitch in where the existing coil spiitter sits.

Any opinions on Electric Ed's products? I can say that he is great communicator and has answered all of my questions very timely :)
thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts