Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Mai-Guitar?

26K views 71 replies 28 participants last post by  omodepelle 
#1 ·
Greetings,

Perhaps I missed the relevant posts (and the search function is useless for 3 letter words like "mai"), but I just noticed the banner for mai-guitar.com as a Jemsite vendor. Has this been around awhile? I'm curious if anyone has dealt with them. No current projects planned, but I'm always interested in knowing who's available and what kind of work they do. As we all know, most of the luthiers that showed up here to great fanfare in the past subsequently had spectacular crash-and-burns.

Cheers,
Bert

#10 ·
Hi guys. I'm Chris from Mai-Guitar (pronounced My-guitar). I started a website and ran an add with Alan. He said the regular adds were all filled, but he had a rotating banner. So far there are only a couple that rotate, but I think there will be more.

As far as the not impressive swirls, to each his own. My helper and I started doing them in December 2010. For every one that has gone out on an auction, we have done at least 2 made to order. We started out trying to match others, but have now dialed into the unique looking schemes. Buy what you like.

I'm not a big website guy. My host was supposed to provide some tools, but so far those are lacking. It has the main stuff though.

I purchased the CNC programs and equipment from another builder in January. I have made some updates to the programming that improved the claw, made the pickup cover routes a bit bigger so you don't need to sand down your RG/JEM covers, and tweaked some other stuff.

I do bang out some basic models. The concept of the website was to make just what you want, but charge a bit more for the mods. The “you draw it draw, we cut is” service offers a unique chance to trace out whatever you can think of, then we'll cut it. I have templates showing the places that need to stay to accommodate the routing. For the price, it’s a cool service.

The other thing I have is access to some really cool woods. I have a batch of Alder that is super light - just over 3 lbs for a cut JEM style body. The idea on the JEM was Basswood for light weight, but Adder for sound. I think this Alder is lighter than factory Basswood, so its turn key.

I have some Aspen that I’m looking for someone to review as far as tone. If someone is interested, shoot me a message. I’ll either send a body as a loaner, or sell one at a discount to test. My wood guys says it “should” sound like Alder, but be even lighter. I can get tons of it, so if its good, I’d like to know. So far I only have a few until I get some feedback.

I have some old basswood that is super light too - like 2.5 lbs. I’m saving that for special orders.

So that’s it for now. This isn’t my day job or anything. I’m having fun and have had a ton of interest so far.

#11 ·
The clear coat makes the swirl in my opinion. Your swirls are average as far as vendor product goes, certainly better then the average garage worker. Your prices are more then fair as well.

So, get one of your better swirls, clear it, and showcase that. That would be better to show. People dont realize how crappy swirls look until they are cleared and buffed lol.

#12 ·
#19 ·
I've been masking the bottom of the pockets, but not the sides. I'll check how Hec does it and follow his lead.

Here is another one that generated a lot of requests.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e310/chriscpm/Ibanez Bodies/Red Black 3/IMG_2460.jpg

On some other background, I started by taking bodies purchased from Perle, finishing with 2-part clear, adding either a stock RG neck, or making necks from scratch. Some LED neck, some just custom colors to match the swirls. I like the bodies the most, so I'm focusing on that for now.

I know a lot of tricks, like hot to fit and Edge Pro 2 or Edge 3 into a cavity routed for an Edge. Its a small route, but really helps out. I did one for a guy last night before I shipped a bare wood body off.

#26 ·
Yep--the body has arrived! Let me tell you folks of my first impression before I get to the actual review.
Overall condition: Very great cut, and minimal sanding required--not nearly as rough as I
thought it would be!
Neck pocket: Fits my 2001 RG-570 neck like a glove! No need for shimming at all!
Packaging: Fan-flippin'-tastic! Bubble-wrapped and in a size conforming box!
Routing: Very accurate, and the lion's claw is very sharp--no need for putty!
Cavities are very accurate and fit the 570 cover plates!
Monkey grip is dead-on and positioned accurately.
Final thoughts: I love you, man!

I'll try to get a few shots up in the Purple Floral Build Thread today. I'm still waiting for Al's fingerboard and purple acrylic inlays--I didn't want the mirrored purple this time, so I had to wait an extra few days.

Chris--you are putting out some fantastic bodies! Keep it up, and I think you'll be the next big contender in the aftermarket Jem parts department!

#21 ·
Nope. Different Chris. I did buy the CNC from the other Chris though. It was doable to drive 200 miles.

I fixed up a few things that always bugged me about aftermarket bodies - like the size of the trem cover routing. The covers fit now!

According to Herc, the bodies he looked over were better than Legacy bodies and better than Pearle bodies. I'm going to stick with that if anyone says differently.

Are you the same Chris from Michigan who ran Legacy One guitars?

Peace

Mike

#27 ·
Chris has been a bud of mine for years. He makes it seem like he is just sort of getting into this. Two things your should know about him are that he is a Jem freak and a perfectionist. We have been buying, selling trading jems for the last 10 years. He has been modifying Jems for that long too. He was doing so many Jem projects for people that when the opportunity arose for him to get the cnc equiptment, he jumped on it. He has gone through countless bodies tweeking all of the imperfections that were in the prior programs. His bodies are light years from where they were with the prior owner. They look great and Ibanez parts actually fit them now. We all know what its like to get the aftermarket bodies only to find out that the neck, plates, pickguards etc don't fit quite right. These issues are gone now. His paint, swirls and clears are painstakingly done by him to be as close to perfect as possible. His prices are more than fair for the quality you get. He has some wild ideas coming up for mods so keep checking his site. I know he's been a lurker here for years and didn't want to step on any toes which is why he bought the ad space. So, support the advertisers becuz they are the ones that keep this site going.

#33 ·
So, are you making square heel bodies? And if so, how much? Site needs set prices for body woods, and options, it's way too vague. :lol:

I might want a couple bodies, but I don't like the claw, or handle, and would not want basswood. Basically a JPM body with a square heel in mahogany or ash(with a figured top?)...

#34 ·
I can do square heel. I can leave off the handle. I could leave it for a fixed bridge like this, or do an RG style route. Just shoot me an email and we'll talk details. The concept of the site is that I can make what you want. We should have a revision done today. I'll always focus more on guitars than the site though.

#38 ·
Hi All!
I realize this is an older thread, but when I was searching around for "Mai Guitar" I just happened to find it. I have three of Chris' swirls, a GMC, Jupiter and a silver/blue/black UV style. I also have a BMC from Herc Fede, and I can honestly say Mai Guitar's swirls are nearly as good....I have to give the edge to Herc, but he is the master after all. Last I heard he was getting out of the swirl business, sad, but I know he gets overwhelmed with it all. That leaves us with everybody else doing these, and Mai Guitar is from what I've seen one of the top guys out there. Easy to work with too, and he can get you anything you need....necks, hardware etc. I know I sound like an ad for him, but I'm always happy to help out somebody who does good work at a reasonable price. I saw a couple of the earlier posts regarding the quality of the work, and all I can say is the swirls I have are very cool. As stated by another poster earlier, the clear coat is the key to getting a good swirl to "pop". Besides that you want an interesting pattern and good color separation, Mai Guitar scores well in both of those catagories IMHO. I would be happy to post up pics of the swirls I have if anybody is interested. Glad to be here, I've been lurking for a while using this site for research into the guitars I'm building, but just now joined up. Hope to get to know everybody

#43 ·
I searched for the right swirl artist and decided on Chis based on the quality of his swirls and colors. He swirls in my opinion were the best. I bought a Jupiter swirl and it is a work of art. He Has been very pleasant and attentive to e-mails. His clear coat is excellent and the quality of the rosewood neck is excellent. After I'm done with this project I probably will start another.:lol:

#46 ·
I've known Chris (Mai-guitar) for a while. I played the brown (red) one the other day. That thing plays great. I own a bunch of Jems and that guitar is right up there with them. The prestige neck helps, for sure. But, it sounds great, feels great and has super low action. I was tempted to take it home with me but I just can't swing it. The finish on the wood looks even better in person than in the pics. Top notch work for sure!

#48 ·
Just purchased an ash Jem body from Chris last Friday- held next to my JEM77VBK looks identical! Very nice work. I have not tried fitting any parts or a neck yet. I don't have a neck to try - I need to search for a neck now - maybe Perle?

Chris - I was also planning on a natural finish similar to your red or brown guitar. Did you grain fill the body as well? Can you provide any tips of the finish used, number of coats, clear etc.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.