Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of making my own rack mount for my gear since I like working with wood and really, I think I want to build a really big one with a good deal of space between individual units.

I simply cannot find any web site that sells just the side bars with the holes in them. Does anyone know of a source? I am guessing there's a standard music industry spacing involved.

If anyone has built one for themselves, I'd like to know pros and cons involved. Any and all info is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
They're called rack rails... rack equipment manufacturers like Middle Atlantic makes 'em in a variety of spaces.
If it's going to be a huge rack and ya plan going on lugging it around, consider shock-mounts. Ventilation is also another consideration when you're building one from scratch.

Reg

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, it would be a home unit. Nothing to move about. I don't gig or nothing anyway.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you buy a sliding drawer instead of a fixed one?

What do you use it for?

·
JEM Winner #2
1,375 Posts
Why would you buy a sliding drawer instead of a fixed one?

What do you use it for?
Good question. It's really just personal preference. I'm hooking up an RJM RG-16 (http://www.rjmmusic.com/rg16.php) which will loop all my rack units and some of my pedals with a voodoo power plus 2 unit. I'm placing the pedals and power supply on the sliding shelf for easy access if I decide to modify the pedal settings, etc. The shelf locks in place unless I unlock it by pressing on it. Then the shelf slides out and when I'm done modifying things it slides back and locks. That way when I move the whole rack around it's not sending my pedals for a flight test. There are sliding shelves out there that do not lock.

Paul

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, I never thought of that for the pedals. I was leaning towards getting the RJM in the future myself. One more thing to keep in mind.

Of course, that's all after I figure out what preamp I want to match up with my Peavey 50/50. Too bad funds are holding me back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts