Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a jem for a little project and i dont have acces to any templates. U can get them online but they cost like 60 bucks and i live in europe so shipping would cost alot:|. Can i make the templates myself? and if anyone can make a list of tools and materials i would need for the project

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Pardon the observation, but if you're asking for a tool list for building a guitar from the ground up--you might want to do a little more research and start with something smaller. As far as making templates, it depends on what you want them made of. If making them from MDF, you'll need templates to make the templates. Hate to burst your bubble, but I say just buy a used Jem and call it a day. I've been building for several years, and this is a very daunting and complex task. Just joining Jemsite and asking where to start indicates that you have no experience with building, and obtaining all of the tools and supplies alone will cost a bunch. Not knowing what you're doing will result in a ton of wasted time and wood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive done alot of research and i know the basic tools and materials ill need. I know what parts ill need for the guitar and what the rough price for the materials will be. I have some experience with building stuff out of wood. My uncle works with wood alot and ive been helping him here and there so i know the basic stuff. I get wood almoast for free cause my dad owns a transport company and his bussines mostly includes moving wood across the europe for a company that makes furniture and he can get great discounts. Now i just need guitar parts but luckily ive been working in a music shop in summer so i know a guy that can get me stuff a bit cheaper than normal customers. Its not in my interest to prove something to other people and im not planing this to be like a weekend job. I want to learn the basic stuff of building a guitar with all the bumps on the way.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Go to projectguitar.com and look through the tutorials--it will be much easier than trying to explain it all here. There are precise measurements required for guitar building--this ain't like building a birdhouse! I suggest A LOT od research before starting this project.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you work in a music shop, can't you copy the outline of a JEM (if it's stocked), measure areas (trem cavity, neck pocket, etc) with a vernier and an accurate ruler. Apply some logic to your measuring techniques and you should get very close to the original size. Use a grid system (graph paper) if you need to.

Probably the hardest part to measure will be any body chamfers but with care you should get close. For any rounded/filleted edges, try a router bit against a real body and choose a bit that is 'best fit'. This will give you the radius of the edge. Or use a radius gauge, if you can get them ($$).

Alternatively, create your own design. Get the basic dimensions of areas for the trem, pickups, neck pocket, etc, from other Ibanez guitars.

From your drawings, create templates as required.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont work there anymore but that could work. Im just afraid the measurement wont be as precise as i would like. I got some telecaster blueprints to work on at the moment but when i get a chance ill try to measure the jem

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I say that you should start by buying a neck from **** and building a body first.

As long as you get the scale length and neck pocket right will work. If the wood is cheap then even better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts