Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first maple fretboard RG550. I have 5 other RGs all with Rosewood fretboards. I don't like the feel of the maple. It definitely gives more resistance when bending and just has a "stiffer" feel. I wonder why anyone uses maple over Rosewood.
Are there any secrets to give a maple fretboard a slicker feel?
Thanks.

John

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think it depends largely on the board itself. As I mentioned in another thread I got to borrow a Wolfgang (maple neck). I love it, and think I now know why people like it so much. It's so smooth and seems to offer less resistance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmmm...i'm still liking the rosewood.
hey beyblade! the guitar looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think there is some kind of satin coating on my maple fretboard, so i took some sandpaper to it. feels better now, and i think once it gets a little dirty, i'll be okay with it. great job on the guitar! i wish i could play it. :)

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
beyblade said:
Hey john1880 my good buddy. I find that it is easier to get around a maple neck on a stage when things get dark. Here's my RG1550 prestige neck mounted on a 570 body that I customized all by myself. Killer guitar to play.
very nice guitar you got there :mrgreen:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't see any difference between maple and rosewood on feeling. Maybe there is but doesn't bother me. There is a big difference between sound and look.

Maple has cleaner, colder and little bit harder sound than rosewood. It takes some time from me to get use to it at first but after that it's really nice to shred with because the sound isn't too dirty or messy. I only own guitars with rosewood fretboards so I am not too familiar with maple board. For some people it's too cold and hard.

Maple looks really nice. I like it very much. Maple gets dirty easily but I guess it's also easy to clean. Rosewood looks nice also but if rosewood's color is too light I don't like it. I like darker rosewoods.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't hate rosewood,

but I do love maple,

Still, ebony is my favourite.

I think the open graines of rosewood slow you down and hinder bending, maple is much more closed, ebony is about the same but much harder, which will influence tone (for better or worse, very subjective) and neck stability (better with ebony).

The fact that Ibanez has stopped using ebony for the Jem underlines the rarity, same for the maple.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
eviltwin said:
I don't hate rosewood,

but I do love maple,

Still, ebony is my favourite.

I think the open graines of rosewood slow you down and hinder bending, maple is much more closed, ebony is about the same but much harder, which will influence tone (for better or worse, very subjective) and neck stability (better with ebony).

The fact that Ibanez has stopped using ebony for the Jem underlines the rarity, same for the maple.
Good Points;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.