Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a Marshall in a month.

I heard almost every sample on Youtube of the DSL and yesterday I played with the TSL60.

I hated marshalls for quite some time but it turns out I only heard marshalls by people who didn't know how to dial in their amp.

I messed a little with the TSLs EQ and it didn't take me long to get a great sound out of it.

How would you compare these two? I'm also interested in the JVM and 85th anniversary.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Both good amps. If you're looking for a traditional Classic Rock sound, the DSL is your best bet becasue it has a simpler circuit. The TSL uses more circuit boards and the signal path is more processed - and offers a more intense overdriven tone.
It boils down to your tastes....either one is a win.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Every DSL I've ever played sounds better than every TSL I've ever played. I'd go with the DSL, unless you need the flexibility of a JVM. The 85th is a DSL with different cosmetics.

Oh, and I have a DSL100MLB head for sale... ;)

Cheers,

Race

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every DSL I've ever played sounds better than every TSL I've ever played. I'd go with the DSL, unless you need the flexibility of a JVM. The 85th is a DSL with different cosmetics.

Oh, and I have a DSL100MLB head for sale... ;)

Cheers,

Race
Actually I'm more between the 85th anniversary and the JVM. I've found the 85th at the same price as an ordinary DSL50 and since I prefer the cosmetics I'd go for that :)

I really don't need the "on the spot" versatility of the JVM. I only need that for recording. When giggin I like to have a Channel selector and OD1/OD2 at my feet (just like the DSL has).

What basically twists my mind is the fact that each amp has something great the other one doesn't. JVM=versatility-XLR out, DSL= raw tone, TSL=XLR out. If the DSL had an MSDI XLR out I'd definitely go for that hands down.

·
Registered
754 Posts
totally agree with racerevlon. i've played several of both and nearly pulled the trigger on the dsl50. the tsl was decent, but ultimately the gain was a little too 'hairy' for my tastes. the dsl's tone was warmer and lent itself to more vintage-y tones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts