Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i use an ada mp1, with an A.R.T sgx t2 effects unit, and two 200watt mono 4x12s 16ohm speakers

im after a power amp and not sure wether to go for a 9200, or an EL84 20/20.

would a 20/20 have enough power?

peace

·
Registered
219 Posts
It should have more than enough power. I had a Mesa/Boogie 20/20 years ago. It was quit loud.

Ofcourse a 20/20 Marshall will sound different then the 9200 (or the 9100)

But that's just personal preference.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The 9200 is a great power amp, but complete overkill for anything! I like the Randall RT2/50, and it is perfect for trying different valves too, so if you're not absolutely sure what you want to go for then that would give you the option to try out the sounds of 6L6s, 5881s, ELs etc etc,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have considered peavey, yet everytime i search for them on evilbay all i get is models such as the PVxxxx which is more of a p.a poweramp? what models should i be looking for, ive been told 50/50's are great a few times now but 50/50 what? what is the model?
peace

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Peavey Classic Series 50/50. Here's a photo I found on the web:

I had one for a while and they are great power amps, especially given that you can pick them up cheap. I got rid of it purely because I wasn't using it much - I preferred the RT 2/50 and Mesa 2:90 that are in my main racks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 9100 is a great amp. I like the monoblock better but have never compared them head to head.

The 2:90 is a very musical power amp, but expensive.

It's very hard to beat Peavey in the bang for the buck.

the 50/50 is one of Bob Bradshaw's favorite sounding amps, or atleast used to be back in 2000.

FWIW,
stay away from the Mesa 50/50 unless you can hear it with your rig. Some of those amps were voiced very bright from the factory to go with the very dark studio preamp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts