Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a few of these off an eb*y seller a couple of years ago. They're a wedge material similar to Vai's binding folder clips but a bit neater with a strip of adhesive on the other side, and they work great.

Since they're wearing out a little, I thought they might be due a replacement, but the seller has disappeared and I can't find anything else quite like it. So, this is where I need some help: can anybody identify what these plastic wedges might be made from, or did anybody buy one themselves? If anybody knows the seller's username, I might be able to ask them personally.

Here's a couple of pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about:

And it holds picks like so:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Probably just some plastic piping for putting over sharp edges.

Reckon a hardware shop would be best place to start, probably comes in long rolls

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's too rigid to be something from a roll, it bends with the contours of the headstock because it's stuck there, but I think it would snap if bent too far.

That's somewhere along the lines of what I was thinking, possibly to hold something in place or cover the edges. No ideas beyond that though. It would be really cool if I could make these myself.

I'll have a look around a hardware store tomorrow, thanks!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Idk what it is. but I had a chance to get close to (and even play) steve vai's personal FP2 proto, and the pickholder actually seemed to be just a strip of that 3m tacky foam stuff, although i thought it was like the holder you have, with the ridges it is in fact not. the picks simply stick to it, Ibanez was even selling them for a while!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried the sticky tape method before, I just ended up with a lot of gunk on the tips of my picks!

Maybe he's changed it now, but I know Vai used to use plastic things attached with velcro:

That's slightly besides the point anyway. I'm really set on my current system. :p

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link, but that's not quite what I'm after. This wedges them in place rather than sticking them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts