Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me from which metal the Edge Pro Bridges are made? It looks to me like aluminum, but im not sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Unfortunately, they are made of pot metal (like your HotWheels cars when you were a kid). I am pretty sure it's a slighty better formula than the die-cast metal they use on toys, but it still pretty much sucks.

I have a bunch of Ibanez guitars with the older Lo-Pro (they, too, are made of pot metal) and the new Edge Pro. They work fine, but the finish gets easily eaten away by acidic sweat and moisture (more so than my Floyds). Floyds tend to rust, since they are made almost entirely out of steel (and some parts are brass). So neither is perfect, but I'd take rust over a melting finish any day... at least you can oil it.

Plus, I can't help but wonder how much better my Ibanezes would sound if they actually had a more decent conduit for vibration at the bridge. I would think that a steel bridge, saddles and inertia block would have to sound better and transfer vibration better than a soft pot metal version. :eek:

But, then you can argue that they seem to be good enough for Vai and Satch, so there you go. ;)

Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
rrhea said:
But, then you can argue that they seem to be good enough for Vai and Satch, so there you go. ;)
Satch and Vai can ask 'their people' to call Ibanez and get a case of new trem systems for when their's wear out too!!

I love the feel of Edge trem systems but am yet to try the Edge Pro. They may be made from cast metal but from my experience they are engineered very well. I really dig the way that the saddle screws on edge systems screw directly into a separate hardened plate on the underside of the system rather than into the body of the trem itself. I once stripped a thread on my old Lo-Pro and it was no hassle to order a replacement plate and fit it myself. When I recently did the same to a Schaller system I had to replace the whole system!!

I guess I should learn not to over tighten things!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
mi2tom said:
yes!!! it's a good idea but I think it'll be very heavy :roll: and costly
Costly yes, heavy no. Titanium is actually probably lighter than the pot metal they're made out of now as it weighs 60% as much as steel... that's why it's used in aircraft, it's really strong and really light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,274 Posts
technomancer said:
Costly yes, heavy no. Titanium is actually probably lighter than the pot metal they're made out of now as it weighs 60% as much as steel... that's why it's used in aircraft, it's really strong and really light.
This guy makes titanium parts. Harmony Central has some (good) reviews of tonal qualities of the things (trem block, saddles).

Another good quality is that they don't tarnish/wear out due to sweaty acidic hands...

http://www.detempleguitars.com/home2.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
technomancer said:
Costly yes, heavy no. Titanium is actually probably lighter than the pot metal they're made out of now as it weighs 60% as much as steel... that's why it's used in aircraft, it's really strong and really light.
Titanium is a lot lighter than "pot metal" or diecast. A titanium bridge would be super light and cost a lot more than todays bridges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,711 Posts
amanvai said:
Let me know how heavy the guitar is.
titanium is light. that would be nice if it retained tone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Titanium now thats gonna give MAJOR sustain! I am quite happy to have steel poles inserted into my spine so they lock when I am standing so the weight of the guitar does not break me in two just hear the sound!

Maybe everything except the springs thats metal should be titanium? But can you get it in an ice cool blue colour?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
technomancer said:
Costly yes, heavy no. Titanium is actually probably lighter than the pot metal they're made out of now as it weighs 60% as much as steel... that's why it's used in aircraft, it's really strong and really light.
It is lighter? I knew it was fairly light for a strong metal, but I don't know how it compares...

hmmm this may pay off for me after all!

I think I am going to have to start my own company and make trems that all guitar builders can buy rather than try to get a contract to build trems for Ibanez or someone ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,559 Posts
red5 said:
It is lighter? I knew it was fairly light for a strong metal, but I don't know how it compares...

hmmm this may pay off for me after all!

I think I am going to have to start my own company and make trems that all guitar builders can buy rather than try to get a contract to build trems for Ibanez or someone ;)
cool!!! I'll be your first customer... :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
There will be a lot of research...

I make a website for a company that makes carbide tooling... maybe we could come up with something. Judging by the cost of a tool it would probably sell for around $300.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,559 Posts
red5 said:
There will be a lot of research...

I make a website for a company that makes carbide tooling... maybe we could come up with something. Judging by the cost of a tool it would probably sell for around $300.
so ... you're really serious ...if you're than I'm gonna get one from you :D but with a discount ;)
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top