Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever upgrade their output transformer in their amp?

i just upgraded the output transformer and choke in my randall rm100.

it really didnt change the tone of the amp, but the amount of clarity amp has now was well worth the $232.00 i spent. the swap was pretty easy as all the wires were color coded the same from the factory and the MMOT.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
can't say I have an amp to upgrade a transformer(s) but if I ever get one, it would be the Holy Terror kit for an Orange Tiny Terror :)
I've met the guys from Mercury back in Oct at an event where they A/B'd the difference between a regular Tiny Terror vs Holy Terror and it's definitely a "wow" factor.
so wiring it up is pretty easy i assume? hopefully no shock factor :)

Reg

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lured- what do you mean as far as downside? i play hard rock/heavy metal.

reg- i simply turned on the standby while it was off, then unplugged the amp. no shock at all. i cant speak for other transformer companies. but the mercury mag output tran was wired with the same color wires on the primary and secondary as the factory. so wiring it in was pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I play Marshalls and have combos and full stacks. I've replaced the output transformers AND the power transformers with Mercury Magnetics units.

Mercury had never done a power transformer for a JTM60 before - so they sent me a signed letter stating I have the first one they ever built. Very cool company. I hear a tremendous difference -but most folks just replace the output and not the power transformers - which I believe is the key to "sag" or "breathing" in the famous old Marshall sound.

~j

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hey lured

there is nothing i dont like about this amp. it just keeps getting better and better. i mixed my tubes with jj 6l6's and jj e34l's and biased them on the hotter side of the rating scope. i may completely switch to jje34ls or swap out the 6l6's for kt88's. i'll decided in a few weeks once the new output tranny burns in.

i've had my fair share of expensive amps. my favorite outside the rm100, the dual rec i had for 7 years. even with that amp, i was never really satisfied with it. just always chasing something i couldnt put my finger on.

once i came across the mts stuff, i dumped the dual rec like a bad habit. theres so much stuff you can tweek and mod on the modules and head itself. theres a ton of guys on the randall forum that do work and who offer help/advice freely on how to do upgrades. its just really easy to dial in the amp and have things tweeked to get the sounds you hear in your head.

you can hear clips of all the module on the forum from users posting stuff from modified and stock modules.

without sounding like i'm bl*wing the amp, i've never been happier with how i sound in the 15 years i've been playing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey jem

your right they really are a cool company to deal with. i was originally gonna get an output tranny for my randall rt2/50 power amp, but decided to get one for the rm100 head instead. there were very gung-ho to do the ot for the power amp and requested factory dimensions of the chassis adn factory ot to get the ball rolling.
there very quick to respond to the email also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts