Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Yesterday I interviewed Marten from Meshuggah and we had a great chat about a bunch of stuff, but perhaps most interesting of all was the news that the band is preparing to meet with Ibanez about doing a limited run of their custom 8-strings for the public!

Here's the link to the interview: http://www.iheartguitarblog.com/2010/02/interview-meshuggahs-marten-hagstrom.html

And here's part of what he had to say:

Me: Have you ever talked with Ibanez about making your guitars available to the public?

Marten: I'm actually going to discuss it with Mike Taft at Ibanez. We used to work with Rob Nishida at Ibanez and he quit after 14 years on the job. He wanted to try something new. So we're gonna talk to Mike about that, because there's a lot of people that seem to be interested in acquiring a custom 8-string in the setup we use. I think it might be a wise thing to maybe release some kind of limited edition. Because they're pretty expensive guitars. It turns out to be that way when you spec it so hard. For some people the 8-string that came out as retail, it'll probably suit some people better than our guitar, because ours takes some adjusting. But as well as those people who want to have a lower price tag, there are always people who are interested in getting the real deal, so we'll see what can be done with that.

Me: I'm a big Ibanez geek and I'm not alone - there will always be collectors who will buy something like that.

Marten: Yeah. It wouldn't be a major series or anything, it would just be cool to put something out, but we will speak about that [with Ibanez]. We've been trying a lot of different approaches to how we want our guitars. The first ones we got were pretty close to perfect, then we started messing around a little bit with the specifics of the guitar, but we're still looking to nail it about a thousand percent.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I suppose that if this ever happens it'll be 3000+ euros. Totally out of my pricerange but awesome in specs, so it'll be nice for the ones that can afford them to be able to try them and have one more option in the erg market.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would think that people would be more interested in Thordendal's Iceman 8 string than Hagstrom's RG shaped.

Ibanez would be doing great if they made so much as a 7 string Iceman, an 8 would convince me to put a loan on my house to buy it. (assuming its $4000 like we all predict)

·
Registered
300 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!! If Ibanez did that, PRAISE THEM!!! That would be so amazing! I'm getting a custom done right now with specs close to Meshuggah's, but an ACTUAL Ibanez like theirs would be amazing to get a hold of!!! Hope they do it! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts