Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I listen to people like Zakk Wylde and Adrian Smith, I can hear a really wide, slow and even vibrato. Do things like string gauge, guitar style, and neck width affect this? Because a lot of people associate fixed bridge guitars like Gibsons with that. Does anyone else use this vibrato? Because with my RG, with its very thin neck, after I finish a fast passage, I instinctually use a quick vibrato. Any comments here?

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
No, no, no, and no! Vibrato comes from your fingers and wrist-not string gauge, neck width, etc. Go watch the George Lynch Guitar Bible, as he shows some great vibato techniques including the infamous jack-off vibrato.

·
Registered
387 Posts
While vibrato does come from your hands.There are things that can help you get that wide zakk wylde type vibrato_One is tuning down so the strings are looser and have less tension that makes it easier to vibrate the strings.Shorter scale lengths usually have less tension with similiar string gauges.A ton of gain helps too. Zakk also often uses a wah pedal as well.On recordings sometimes that wild vibrato is overdubbed in. Adding artificial harmonics and vibrating those also helps for that over the top vibrato style. Good luck with it. Super humanly strong fingers and callouses like granite never hurt either check out stevie ray vaughn bending and vibratoing his 13's on a strat sometime.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A little thing called assumption, which is the mother of all screw ups. I assumed that the person interested in vibrato technique would go to Youtube and look up John Sykes, watching his playing technique. Perhaps I should have spelled that out for people that do not know. Nugget defined... ;)
JordanRG, go to youtube and type in vibrato technique. Or look up JOHN SYKES vibrato technique.
Vivien Campbell sometimes frets a note, then presses down on the string above the nut between the tuning pegs to create vibrato.
Other than that, the replies above pretty much cover vibrato.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.