Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start off I have an black Epiphone Les Paul Studio with 12 gauge strings, I have an spider IV amp and was wondering what would be a good set of pickups would be great to get an heavier tone, a tone kind of like As I Lay Dying or As Blood Runs Black, also, I'm picking up an Boss MT-2 Metal core pedal soon.

My friend suggest Crunch Lab, and Liquifire or Dmarzio D - activators.

I am looking for passive pickups.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
im thinking d-activators for you. or what i use which is an X2N in the bridge with an EVO in the neck. you can sub that X2N with a d-activator bridge or a d-activator X. whichever you prefer but those are your best options. maybe a better amp too, theres almost no low end on any spider IV ive ever played or in the one i own (i hate that amp)

honestly, amp before pickups. you can make a guitar with the worst pickups sound great with a real amp but with a little line 6, you cant tell the difference between an X2N and a PAF pro. who knows, you find the right amp and you might not even need a pickup swap

·
Registered
11 Posts
i prefer Seymour duncan full shred for passive pickup.. i'm happily replace my dimarzio super distortion with SD full shred and won't think about turning back.. :D

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Well to start off I have an black Epiphone Les Paul Studio with 12 gauge strings, I have an spider IV amp and was wondering what would be a good set of pickups would be great to get an heavier tone, a tone kind of like As I Lay Dying or As Blood Runs Black, also, I'm picking up an Boss MT-2 Metal core pedal soon.

My friend suggest Crunch Lab, and Liquifire or Dmarzio D - activators.

I am looking for passive pickups.
Avoid the Metal zone. Out of the box it's not very useful. Get the MXR fullbore metal if you want something functional out of the box. It's a little more expensive than the metal zone but that thing is a beast. It can do that real heavy tone without any mods and sounds amazing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts